Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do you guys think there will be any open water in the next couple weeks? and do you think it be worth taking a stab at fishing our local waters?

is it time to get the boats ready fellas???

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I don't think so either Augy. This warm weather has me as excited as the next guy, but there was over a foot of ice and that takes a while to melt. Spring is around the corner, but we can't rush things.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I'm with Augy!! I'm not about to get the boat prepped, but some shore fishing at Opeka is looking real good about now. I doubt we'll be ice free that quick but can't wait for the pre-spawn bass rush at my local hole!!!

·
Registered
421 Posts
If your looking for open water to take your boat out you can go to channahon and fish the 3 rivers area. Illinois Kankakee and the Desplaines all come together there, if you lock through at desden your on the beginning of the Illinois Morris Pool. But there is some great Bass fishing on the DesPlaines this time of year there are days when you'll get 20 to 25 fish all of decent size. I f your interested in getting out there pm me and I'll give you directions to the launch and a few spots to hit. There are 2 warm water discharges in this part of the river that hold fish all winter. I have gone out on New Years day for the past 5 years and caught Bass I cant think of any better way to start the year off.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
fish81156 said:
There are 2 warm water discharges in this part of the river that hold fish all winter. I have gone out on New Years day for the past 5 years and caught Bass I cant think of any better way to start the year off.
Is that near the Comed plant?

My uncle works for that plant and said he would take me fishing in the cooling ponds that get water from the rivers you speak of. Has anyone ever heard of catching fish in cooling ponds?

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
I think fishing this weekned will be FAB !

All the run off from the melting snow will raise the water level. It'll be warm water running into the water systems. And Tommorow It will be 34 at night ~!!

I'm expecting to go fishing all weekend and do some catching !!

Fish will be shallower then usual.

Doesn't matter if we think it's worth getting out, Go out and njoy the nice weather doesn't matter if you catch anything..

Although Personally to me, I see a decent chance.

George

:D

·
Registered
421 Posts
The warm water discharges ,one is dresdon nucular power plant and the other is a commed plant i think near the gambling boat in Joilet there about 8 miles apart.

·
Super Moderator
6,237 Posts
I have the tendency to get a little overzealous early in the season. Looking back at my logs though, fishing (at least in natural bodies of water) really did not start happening for me until mid-April. Sure there are opportunities, but you have to pick them well. Crappies at iceout are usually my favorite and keep me going until the bass pick up. Of course, you can also pick a cooling lake or head down to central or southern IL too. Like George said though, the best part is getting out and enjoying it.

·
Registered
593 Posts
The 40 degree rain this weekend will melt the ice fast.

We had about 18 inches of snow,
and this morning I could see grass in spots..

The 3 foot pile by my mailbox from last week is about half...

Nope ice gear is getting put away.
That way I want spring-at least mentally..

Good part at least is that I can now clean up the dog yard..
:cry:

·
Super Moderator
6,237 Posts
So I am not the only one that likes to watch the snow melt :D Today I scraped and shoveled both my neighbors sidewalks. You may say it was a nice deed, but I am just doing my part to rid of the snow and ice :p Bring on the soft water 8)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.