Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yami Master and I hit the road Friday afternoon for our annual Delavan Opener Trip. We tried to do some crappie fishing Friday night with minimites but kept getting these little guys. Not what we were looking obviously and we were concerned because the few snakes we caught were hitting very lightly and not fighting at all.

The water temp was 53, so we were apprehenive about finding fish. We struck out badly at our first spot (which knocked them dead last year) so we started to do some searching and got the first fish of the day.

20'' and full of eggs, Trolling a 3/4 ounce spinnerbait.

We decided to make some casts around the area we caught the fish and Yami lost a nice one, but stuck a 19'' on his next cast.

Before the crowds got too thick we fished around some docks with plastics and live bait and had some good action.

After around a dozen bass and too much boat activity we decided to cast and troll for some slime balls. They are still not too active, but we managed a few.

By this time all the channels and bays were full of boats looking for the pre-spawners, so instead of joining the crowds we searched for some pre-spawn bass and more pike on the main lake which ended up working out well for us.

By this time many of the boats had left for the day, so we worked some of the warmer, protected waters.

The wind was really giving us a pounding so we headed across the lake to some skinny water to get out of the wind.

Of course any time a double is landed, the self time gets put to use ;)

We ended the day casting for some big pike but just ended up with snakes and some suicide pre-spawn males hitting large baits. We ended up with 47 gamefish consisting of largies, smallies, and pike. To challenge ourselves we like to pick a number and try to reach it. We kept upping the number as the day went on, which kept us interested. 15 hours on the water beat the heck out of us, so we hit the bar and decided to come up with a different gameplan for Sunday.

Stay tuned for Part II and see what happens when I give Yami his Sunday wake up call :p

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
MrB said:
Nice job guys! I cant believe that place! Man, it holds some piggies!
It can be your best friend or worst enemy. The bass are pre-spawn and fairly predictable right now. They are super easy in locations like I tipped Coyote of on. You just have to show them the right bait :wink: There are only a handful of locations though. The real fun starts when the main lake gets into pre-spawn. The smallies are out there now doing there thing but the largemouth have not started yet in 95% of the main lake. When they start to go you can catch them almost everywhere. Come mid June though, the numbers of bass disapear and come summer time you would think it is a poor bass lake. The majority of fish just aren't shallow.

Stay tuned for day 2..............

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
It was kinda funny cuz Mike was pulling into that area as he was speaking to you yesterday. I think the water was 5-8° warmer there too. So yeah it was pretty predictable, at least thats where I would be if I was a feesh. Plus with the wind we didnt have much choice. We prolly could have gotten more but we only were there for about 2 of the 5hrs that we were out, but we wanted to get on to some pike. I would imagine that once the water warms up some the pike will be a little more willing to chase.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Day one was great. After all the preparation and strategy it paid off. We didn't pressure ourselves into thinking we have to catch fish...we knew we would catch fish (if that makes any sense). We kept it simple and stayed versatile. When people came in to get out of the wind, we went in it. You have to brave some bad condition to get the fish no one else has thrown a bait at. Day one was the best day of fishing of my life. I kept thinking how will we ever top this day... then day two arrived. :shock:

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
MrB said:
It was kinda funny cuz Mike was pulling into that area as he was speaking to you yesterday. I think the water was 5-8° warmer there too. So yeah it was pretty predictable, at least thats where I would be if I was a feesh. Plus with the wind we didnt have much choice. We prolly could have gotten more but we only were there for about 2 of the 5hrs that we were out, but we wanted to get on to some pike. I would imagine that once the water warms up some the pike will be a little more willing to chase.
As I am sure Mike told you, the first week of June is usually the peak time for pike, at least for early in the season. Good numbers with cracks at a few 30''+ fish. In late May you will get a ton of follows but it is harder to get them to committ.

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys. Like Yami said, it is all about being at the right place at the right time. We put in hours of preperation and even researh beforhand this year, because we thought it was going to be a tough bite. It turns out that is was for many, but I think lots of people got discouraged by the weather and the fact that 99% of the lake was the "dead sea." With the work we put in, we were able to figure out some spots that were not getting beaten to death and then come back and catch fish in the predictable spots after people had given up on them. Of course, luck plays a small role too. I am working on day 2 but don't think I will have time to do it at work.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.