Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its time to respool my Crankin rod & reel. I have 2 new spools of line 10 lb trilene XL and 12lb Bass pro Florocarbon.

The Rod is a Bass Pro Shops crankin Stick 7' M action.

The reel is a KVD signature Baitcaster 5.1 to 1 retrieve.

So which would you spool up with?

I am kind of leaning to the Florocarbon.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Fluoro for a third nod. With some fluoro being expensive, I wonder if it would make sense to put mono as a base and only put, let's say, 100 yards of fluoro? By the time you get down to the spool, you're going to respool anyways. Just a thought.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fishthoughts said:
Fluoro for a third nod. With some fluoro being expensive, I wonder if it would make sense to put mono as a base and only put, let's say, 100 yards of fluoro? By the time you get down to the spool, you're going to respool anyways. Just a thought.
Yea thats what I do I have half the spool filled with cheap mono already. I do that on all my reels.

Thanx Tim
Looks like its gonna be the Floro.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Cranked, that's too funny, man. :lol: I used to use that blue mono line when I was growing up in Guam. It wasn't always easy to get fishing tackle there. I distinctly remember my dad ordering from Cabelas spools and spools of 100# plus Maxima line for the Penn Senator 16/0 reels that we used for Marlin fishing. Talk about expensive re-spooling - only did it every other season.

·
Registered
95 Posts
i've been getting into a lot of cranking last couple years and best bet is of course floro 10 lb diameter... but have also had good success on co-polymers by p-line and gamma. It all depends really on how deep you want your cranks to run, and in what kind of cover, because i also throw deep cranks on braid in some situations.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.