Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody every fished the Oregon Dam on the Rock River? Infamouz and i are going up there probably this sunday and i was just wondering if anyone knows anything about it?

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've fished the area before, but was mostly targeting cats and carp because I was shore-bound. If you have waders, you can normally wade out about 20 yards on the eastern side of the dam to cast directly toward the dam for walleye, but that probably wouldn't be wise considering the high water levels. The western side of the dam is your best bet for cats, carp, buffalo and sheepshead. Smallies will be holding just downstream behind any rocks or timber - I personally didn't have much luck because I couldn't cast far enough, but did see some guys in a boat killing em. The nice thing about this area is that if you strike out at the dam, downstream on the west side there is a park. The last parking lot for this park will have either a gazebo or deck, with a discharge just to the left. It's a steep rocky slope, so be careful. The water is also 25-30 feet deep and also a very good catfish spot.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I forgot to mention the island, which may or may not be visible due to the high water levels. If you can get a motorized boat of some kind (I wouldn't recommend getting that close to the dam in a canoe), you can anchor right on the island and cast directly into the middle of the dam for walleye.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
My son and I fish out there quite a bit. Above the damn on the East side is a public boat launch, and along the east channel from that launch there is a lot of 2-4lb cat action, plus white bass, some smallies and carp.

I haven't found the boat launch south of the damn of of Rte 2 yet. Also, in June/July, a little further down in Sterling just below the damn is some great 20-30lb flathead action.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.