Chicago Fishing Forum banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Turned a Nebraska deer into a meal last night. I was being filmed for a video on hunting, wild game and cooking for the IDNR and grabbed some of my own photos before hand and of the finished product.

Venison w/ Blueberry Sauce by charliebravo77, on Flickr

The recipe is Icelandic Venison with Blueberry Sauce from Hank Shaw's Buck, Buck, Moose cookbook.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Thanks! It was tasty.

Did some pheasant hunting with friends today.

Pheasant Hunting by charliebravo77, on Flickr
Anticipation

Orange Army: Upland Batallion

Gunnar is the first out in the field

*Tries to take a picture of me when I set my camera down and doesn't know how back button focus works*

Frankie's turn

Break time

Accidentally unlocked my lens from the body and the light leak resulted in a totally intentional artsy blown out shot

De-briaring

Some other group's bird, but lookit them colors :crazy:

·
Registered
213 Posts
More beautiful shots, thanks for sharing!

They are beautiful birds, even the hens. Looks like the DPCA, I used to hunt there often until I lost my lab. She was a terrible house pet, always hunting for food, garbage, what used to be food, and making messes, but she was solid gold in the field. She spoiled me and now I won't hunt without a dog. There's nothing like watching a good dog work a field, lock on a point and flush the bird, it never gets old.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
grems said:
More beautiful shots, thanks for sharing!

They are beautiful birds, even the hens. Looks like the DPCA, I used to hunt there often until I lost my lab. She was a terrible house pet, always hunting for food, garbage, what used to be food, and making messes, but she was solid gold in the field. She spoiled me and now I won't hunt without a dog. There's nothing like watching a good dog work a field, lock on a point and flush the bird, it never gets old.
Thanks, you are correct on Des Plaines. I would really like a dog but I spend most of the day at work or commuting and I'd feel real guilty leaving one at home that long.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Went to MT and Yellowstone over the summer. Unfortunately I didn't get to do much fishing or hiking due to a severe ankle sprain that developed conveniently when I arrived in MT. Oh well, got a few decent photos while there.

YNP by charliebravo77, on Flickr

MT by charliebravo77, on Flickr

IMG_1419 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Since I didn't get to do much fishing in MT I went on a guided fly trip on the Kankakee with Austin Adduci - had a great time and highly recommend him.

Went up to WI for some grouse hunting in September. Made a visit to the St. Croix factory store and did some economy stimulating.

Northwoods Grouse by charliebravo77, on Flickr

DSCF6358 by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Tagged along on a WY elk hunt with a couple friends. Got two cow elk. Tried to fill some of my own pronghorn tags as well but struck out. Got a little cold and snowy up on the mountain.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Very pro- all of them. I like whatever you are doing post.
Looks sort of like film- kind of retro, in a good way.? Nice touch on the last "northwoods grouse" . The OOF leaves really frame that beautifully.

+1 on Austin's guided trips. i went on one, this summer. It was really fun. I was nervous about my casting , but in the end I did pretty well and managed to avoid clocking Austin in the head with my fly.
Fly fishing from a driftboat is really fishing in style. It's just so relaxing. I had one really great day up in the UP, but other than that it was the highlight of my year.

I laughed at your back-button AF comment too. I use that too and yeah that ridiculously simple concept seems to befuddle people. I set up my U1 and U2 (Nikon speak) so if I need to hand my camera to a normal person the AF is not disabled from the shutter release. Then there is a 50//50 shot that the intended subject wuill be in focus. I think Canon has a similar set up.

It would not surprise me one bit if these are all published in a mag.
Bravo Charlie.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Beautiful set, a nice slide film like quality. Whatever you are doing in post I like. Shot above the St. Croix rod is great with the OOF leaves framing. I like the shot above the drift boat too.
+1 on Austin Adducci. I got to go on his boat this summer, man that is fly fishing in style. My first time on a drift boat. Probably the highlight of my summer. Wish I could afford to do that more.
The shot above the drift boat is really a great one too.
I laughed at your comment about back button AF baffles non photogs. i switch the camera to U1 or U2 where the shutter release controls AF when I need to hand it to someone. Then you have at least a 50/50 shot of the subject in focus.
It would not suprises me one bit if these are published in a major magazine. Really pro work.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Thanks! I have been dabbling a lot in tweaking and creating my own presets in Lightroom that match the style I'm going for.

I haven't extensively used m4/3 really, just APS-C since I got my first DSLR probably 15 years ago. It's a little appealing for the super crop factor and longer reach for wildlife, but I really don't want to go smaller than APS-C for light sensitivity and aperture size. Shooting on a f2.8 on my 80D is already the equivalent of an f4 on a full frame body. Ideally I'd like to go the other direction and get a full frame body but until I can figure out how to actually make money off of this I can't really justify a new body.

·
Registered
407 Posts
charliebravo77 said:
Thanks! I have been dabbling a lot in tweaking and creating my own presets in Lightroom that match the style I'm going for.

I haven't extensively used m4/3 really, just APS-C since I got my first DSLR probably 15 years ago. It's a little appealing for the super crop factor and longer reach for wildlife, but I really don't want to go smaller than APS-C for light sensitivity and aperture size. Shooting on a f2.8 on my 80D is already the equivalent of an f4 on a full frame body. Ideally I'd like to go the other direction and get a full frame body but until I can figure out how to actually make money off of this I can't really justify a new body.
I think your shots are as good as any I've seen in mags like The Drake.

Yeah. Low light performance is not so hot. There are some really smokin deals going on lately. That OMD 5 MK2 was $550 last week at Best Buy.
Do you ever peruse the Fred Miranda forums? Some really good shooters there.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I've poked around Fred Miranda a bit. It's a little scattered in my experience. There are some phenomenal photographers on there but there's also a lot of images that get praise that leave me scratching my head.

Your posts reminded me that I hadn't gone out specifically looking for wildlife in a while and owls have been on my list to try and find for a over a year. I saw that there were some short-eared owls at Midewin National Tallgrass Prairie last weekend so I headed out yesterday to see if I could spot them. Ended up paying off.

Short-Eared Owl by charliebravo77, on Flickr

Bonus sunset

The owls pushed my gear to the limit, though. Know anyone who needs a kidney to fund a Canon R5 and 600/f4 upgrade?

The biggest thing keeping me out of the M4/3 game is having to buy new glass. It's certainly an attractive package for taking on backcountry trips where weight is at a premium. Wonder what the fastest ~24-105mm or ~24-70mm and 70-200mm equivalent offerings are. You'd need at least an F2.8 to compete with the APS-C mirrorless offerings at f4 these days and I've grown awfully accustomed to the speed of my Sigma 18-35/f1.8 and Tamron 70-200/f2.8 on my 80D so I can't really envision being happy with an f4 equivalent on the fast end.

·
Registered
407 Posts
charliebravo77 said:
I've poked around Fred Miranda a bit. It's a little scattered in my experience. There are some phenomenal photographers on there but there's also a lot of images that get praise that leave me scratching my head.

Your posts reminded me that I hadn't gone out specifically looking for wildlife in a while and owls have been on my list to try and find for a over a year. I saw that there were some short-eared owls at Midewin National Tallgrass Prairie last weekend so I headed out yesterday to see if I could spot them. Ended up paying off.

Bonus sunset

The owls pushed my gear to the limit, though. Know anyone who needs a kidney to fund a Canon R5 and 600/f4 upgrade?

The biggest thing keeping me out of the M4/3 game is having to buy new glass. It's certainly an attractive package for taking on backcountry trips where weight is at a premium. Wonder what the fastest ~24-105mm or ~24-70mm and 70-200mm equivalent offerings are. You'd need at least an F2.8 to compete with the APS-C mirrorless offerings at f4 these days and I've grown awfully accustomed to the speed of my Sigma 18-35/f1.8 and Tamron 70-200/f2.8 on my 80D so I can't really envision being happy with an f4 equivalent on the fast end.
+1 On the FM forums. I would agree.

looks as if Canon hit the ball out of the park with it's mirrorless stuff.
I was thinking of selling blood or doing family portraits and shots of kids to buy a D500 and 200-500mm. I am not sure which would be worse. I think that would be where fast money could happen. The latter that is.
In my opinion, once you start putting big glass or even medium glass on those tiny bodies that;'s going to be horribly unbalanced. Would have to go with the larger bodies in the Olympus line or use primes.
I went for a walk with my wife in the woods. Lighting was crappy so I left the camera in the car. It was so nice not to carry that thing. I'm thinking more or less that I would put up with the compromises, as a trade off. Not as a full time camera mind you.
Everything i have been shooting is aps-c 300mm f4. It snaps into focus really quick and it's stupidly sharp especially when you are close. It's when stuff is far away, that those boutique $10K lenses really shine. Those things are freaking huge though.
Getting pack to your point, I saw some images from Olympus themselves and it was at ISO1600 ish and the freaking pic looks so noisy it looked as if it was snowing.

Part of me thinks that the longer you shoot, the more picky you get with your own work to a point where it don't matter with anybody else but you. It maybe a good thing to push your gear to it's limits. I think it's made me better. My last main lens was the 70-300mm Nikkor. Got some pretty good shots with that thing and I paid less than $300.
Makes you appreciate Nat Geo from the 80's and 90's. Imagine trying to do this stuff with film. Really think about it. It's only been what 10 or 12 years that digital could compete with film.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts