Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a scale and tape measure with me on most trips. For me, I like to know the weight and length for my own education. I like to establish a reference point so that I have a decent feel when I take a guess about a fish's weight or length. After awhile, I won't have to measure it b/c I know what a 14" bass looks like. This is especially true in our WCF outings where I see, on occassion, a few questionable bass come back for weigh-in.

I have a digital scale and it's pretty accurate when I weigh a dumbell or bag of rice to it. There's probably a margin of error +/- a few ounces, but should be more than that.

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts
I use a Rapala, grip lock 50lb scale. I don't weigh too many fish with it, but it is nice to use in the tournies and occasionally for a big fish when I am out and about. Scale accuracy has come a long way in the last 10 years or so. My scale is good within an ounce or so, but needs to be zeroed after every fish is weighed. Same improvements with the way fish are handled. With the Boga Grip style scales, there is no need to puncture the fish in the mouth. In fact, the fish are held no different then the bass you are holding your avatar. In the end though, it really does not matter much to me what someone elses fish weighs or mine for that matter as well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I used to have a net about 12 years ago my grandpa gave me that had a little scale built in on the handle. if you grip it it uses the weight of the fish to pull down a spring loaded thingy and it showed approximately how much the fish weighed up to 20 lbs. It was pretty awesome and accurate when I put a 16 lbs bowling ball in it to check it so I would say it was a good indicator. Kinda wish I still had that thing.

It would always make me feel like a beast when I would have a fish bottom out the scale too.

·
Registered
825 Posts
When I stick a better fish I usually measure its length (dip the bump board in water first). Then, I'll estimate its weight- 15"-16" 2lbs or so, 17"-19" 3 lbs, 20" 4lbs and so on. Obviously, these are just approximates and you adjust for girth but it gives you a good idea.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Boga grips are the most accurate you can get. The Bass Masters Classics swears by them. Digital scales can get thrown out of wack over time and or if dropped.

Here's my buddy using the Boga grips. It is just about 3lbs.

Boga Grips can be expensive though. I have a pair and never use them... :oops:

I believe I payed around 100 bucks for mine...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Here's a good read about the boga grips. Supposebly they are made to be as accurate as a certified scale :wink: It doesn't get much better than that!

for 120 bucks they better be as accurate as you can get. I believe I got mine through BPS and got them for just over 100 since they were on sale. Couldn't pass up that deal!

http://www.islanddiscounttackle.com/Mer ... ct_Count=1

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.