Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finally gotten the time to do some serious fishing lately and with the stompin' grounds less than 5-minutes away from home, there is no better place for me to kill a few hours each day for some fishing.

If I wasn't sick right now with food poisoning, resulting from cooking a fish filet that I'm now thinking came from Salt Creek but it didn't, I'd be out fishing now either at the ditch or someplace on the DuPage River for Smallies and world record size Creek Chubs. But since I'm sick and really lifeless to do anything active other than writing papers for school, I might as well make a post now.

For the past three days, I've been fishing in late-afternoons through evenings. The angling clock has been anywhere from 4pm until 830pm. Water temps are now in the low to mid-50's and the most active fish have been Bass and Crappies - all of which have been running good size from here.

Best lures seem to be plastics. My favorite is a jig & 3-inch grub. In particular, I'm fond of using Berkley Realistix minnow grubs here as they match the hatch extremely well. In addition, cranks and spinnerbaits have been producing well too, especially for the Bass.

I've also been trying hard for Walleyes lately but they still haven't moved into my areas. I'm thinking by next weekend or the following, they'll be in. Really one more significant warm-up away, I think.

Moving on, here are some photos to share. First, the Bass. They've been running between 13" to 15" on average with the usual crop of dinks mixed in. The Bass have been coming from eddies and near current seams. I fish small water so don't expect any monsters in the Bass category coming ''outta here.

All of the Crappies I've been catching have been running even better than the Bass. Jig and pastic (Realistix minnow grub) has been doing all of the damage.

The fish are so spread out right now so if you want to have any chance at getting into both numbers and size, you need to move around and cover some water. Majority of the fish have been coming from deeper pools with brushpiles and timber lined along the bottom. Average size has been around 11". Largest of the week came in at 12" last night while working large walleye grubs at dark.

Had to do some work to this one - I had a noticeable landmark in the background. :lol:

Oh yeah. You can't forget about the random goldfish I caught either.

Other than me and my fish activities, some of my friends have been hitting up the same waters not too far from my main areas and my one friend got into some Pike yesterday - running in the high 20's, low 30's. No photo because it got hung up on a tree next to shore - couldn't make a save in time. Deep pools with current and hard bottom seems to be where they're located now.

And last but not least, I had the pleasure of being invited to join the Salt Creek Watershed Network for their annual canoe outing yesterday morning. Found lots of future fishing spots and it makes me wish I had a canoe for doing float trips down here. . . It'll happen, eventually.

Photos and reflections can be viewed here: http://www.fishing-headquarters.com/fishcast/?p=193

That's about it. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Nice to see that the spinnerbait is causing some strikes. I always like seeing the crappies you pull from there cuz their always sizeable.

JB

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks gents.

With the food poisoning illness from the previous 2-days all gone except for huge amounts of gas, I'm hoping I can be out fishing later this afternoon. I like the looks of this little front that's about to push through. :lol:

The G-fish came from a nearby office park retention pond that looks to have been recently stocked with a whole bunch of them. Got him on a jig & grub. Crazy catch because goldfish are generally kind of dense when it comes to being enticed by lures.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.