Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my last report came sometime around middle to late June.... So it's been a while.

Fishing has been like a roller-coaster this summer. Some days are good while some days are bad in which nothing is caught. Due to work and interning, late afternoons and evenings as well as nights have been my only chances for local fishing. Personally, the IL fishing has been not so good for me but the WI trips have been awesome and the rest of summer will pretty much be spent on them because the local flows have been a waste of time for the most part.... The fish just aren't there like previous years. Thankfully I'm free for the next 4 of 6 remaining weeks to summer vacation - kind of obvious where I will be spending my time at from here on out.

Anyways, around middle to late June the creek had its good periods of fishing - but for any good to happen, I had to be at the right places at the right times.

A smörgåsbord of fish have been caught since last month - Walleyes, Smallmouth Bass, Pike, Carp, Largemouth, random Goldfish, and some bonus Channel Cats.

And locally, if none of the desired species have been around, then I sit on shore at my spots and make Carp sessions. It's been fun and the fights these fish give are simply awesome and out of this world!

Can't forget about these cool little guys either. Wild goldfish.

Besides working the backyard creek almost every day, I've been heading out west to the other flows when time allows. I've made a few trips out to the DuPage River. Unfortunately many of my areas have been like the dead-sea due to high water temps and other unknown factors - it's like the areas are all deserted of fish. In addition I've been meaning to get out further to the Fox River but due to high water levels since only God knows when and due to the stubbornness of not wanting to guzzle gas, fishing out there has been impossible, but it's not entirely out of the picture. Later this week (if not up north), I intend on giving the DesPlaines a shot.

So that takes care of the local outings. Now for the past 2 weeks or so I have not been home so here's what I did. The first week and during the holiday I was out partying in L.A. so zero fishing. But afterwards I went sleepless for 36hrs and from there I went straight to my house up in northern wisconsin for some desperate fishing.

I fished this past week from Tuesday to Friday. Crappies were going good and were schooled in heavy numbers if successfully located. Pop a jig & small grub in front of their faces and you would be in business.

In addition, other species were going pretty good as well, especially PIG Smallmouth Bass on 7/9/08.

For the Smallies I only had time to fish one of the many area lakes for them so I just stuck with fishing one of my top lakes in which I've caught numerous beauties from during the past. it's a 1300 acre lake with numerous mid-lake structures - this time of year these types of areas will be where the parties are at!

Sunken Islands, reefs, rock bars, random drop-offs, you get the idea.

Rapala X-Raps did the most damage. Everything else you could think of was tried and used but nothing worked as well as X-Raps in flame orange and chartreuse color.

In one hour alone I caught two of my biggest ever, along with a respectable 18.5 incher.

And not to disappoint the tough crowd here who bashes those who keep trophies, they all went back as usual.

This particular outing was not one of my best because I went fishless for the first two hours before I could find a successful working pattern, and I did not catch much. However, this outing will probably become one of my more memorable ones.

Besides all of the above, I fished for other species as well - notably Pike and Muskies. Spent a full day working for both species on different lakes. The Pike fishing was way off due to high water temps on one of the locales I fished, so the glory I experienced last month (June 12th/ 68 fish in 4hrs) with these fish is long gone now. Meanwhile I did have some encounters with Muskies but the overall bite for them was slow not only for me but for others whom I spoke with.

Didn't help that I only spent 3hrs for Muskies on 7/10/08, but I had one chance and blew my only chance. Got a mid-30's fish hit at boatside on the figure-8 but he flipped into mid-air and crashed along the side of the boat.... So unhooked into the water he went.

Du to algae blooms, I was mainly regulated to working dark colored baits with fluorescents.

Despite the issues, I think I was doing something right, at least......

Regardess, it was still fun. I have many opportunities remaining yet for them this summer.

By the time 7/11 rolled around, it was time to return home. Can't wait until the next trip. Hopefully late during this coming week!

·
Premium Member
3,701 Posts
I Don't mean to sound like a dike but...

I think my last report came sometime around middle to late June.... So it's been a while.

Fishing has been like a roller-coaster this summer. Some days are good while some days are bad in which nothing is caught.
Yepp... Thats Fishing Especially in the summer.

Personally, the IL fishing has been not so good for me but the WI trips have been awesome and the rest of summer will pretty much be spent on them because the local flows have been a waste of time for the most part.... The fish just aren't there like previous years.
that just makes you wonder why our Illinois anglers travel to fish Wisconsin rather then fishing there local waterways.....

but for any good to happen, I had to be at the right places at the right times.
That is usually how the good happens... I cant remember the last time is was in the wrong place and had any good happen.

ha..ha.. Welcome back Andrew ... Just teasing you. :lol:

Beautiful Pictures Like always Very good quality. Great read to go along with your report. Fishing seems to be off all around Illinois for a lot of other anglers I know to Including myself Which is odd. Hey and nice carp picture and part of the post You could tell you had fun just how you phrased your words around and of coarse the pictures tell the rest. Those are some decent ones to What did you use to go after them gear wise? (just out of curiosity)

Keep them coming Andrew Good Stuff!

:D

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Nice crappies! Good to see that you've been catching fish locally from the area that would look to hold good fish but rarely gives them up! Any other state and that area would be killer for predators...glad to see you are finding fortune in that small strip.

JB

·
Banned
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys.

GeorgeW said:
Hey and nice carp picture and part of the post You could tell you had fun just how you phrased your words around and of coarse the pictures tell the rest. Those are some decent ones to What did you use to go after them gear wise? (just out of curiosity)
Gear-wise, I set my two crappy rods and reels on pegs, and I sit and sleep on shore. Both rigs are just 6.5-footer spinning combos with 8lb line. Use simple bottom rigs and soon hope to get into using hair rigs - my friends say I should start using them. I also chum with corn and that's all that I pretty much use. It's pretty simple and relaxing fishing. The fights from these fish are awesome though and that's what I enjoy the most about this style and the species.

JB, that spot is so tough to fish at due to the holes, trenches, snags, current, and serious depth. The good thing about it is that there are always a few willing gamefish in there.

Husky, I've never floated down the river with the tubes but I fish a stretch of water and nearby is a float trip and water tube/canoe rental place - right on the river. See people go down river all the time in small boats and tubes. It's really beautiful water there between ERC and St. Germain and not many people ever fish it.

I do plan on starting some float trips at some point maybe later this year.. If not, next year. Gotta get a little trailer for my small 12ft boat first.......

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.