Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. Thought I would come in to post a few fish photos and to say hi. :wink:

I've been freakin' busy with all sorts of crap going on but somehow, I still manage to get out for fishing every day. Mostly in late-afternoons & evenings. Sometimes in mornings.

My main places as of late have been the DuPage River, which recently died and will no longer be visited this year because of a fish-kill at my spots. My other place is my backyard sewer ditch, the Salt Creek. I have not been making my routine up-north trips to northern WI lately cause this month is crazy and for the first time ever, my usual trip buddies (family & relatives) can't work it out with their schedules. It's sad. June will be a whole different story as I will be up in WI for maybe 3-weeks tops. :yahoo But just two weeks for-sure, so that's good. But still bad because I want to GO THERE NOW! I'm dying!

Some photos of the dead DuPage River:

DuPage River fish kill... Bad bad bad stuff going on over there.... I think it's in much worse condition now than my sewer ditch creek - that says a lot....

If you have been visiting a larger Chicago fishing website, you have seen the same topic with same exact photos and with more information. The Illinois Smallmouth Alliance is working on the issue with biologists. I don't really expect the IL-DNR to do much about it because they're a lost-cause in my opinion.

Since the DuPage River just died for me, here is what I have been able to accumulate from my creek. Bass, Crappies, and Walleye.

Not much size coming from the fish, but give it some time and it will be improving.

The first two images came from the Wisconsin Season Opener. I only got to fish for like a day, so that doesn't even count.

The remaining photos are from my local backyard river.

NOTE: I do not fish anywhere close to Busse, nor near the DesPlaines River. The fish are found throughout the watershed. It is just a hard fishery to get used to and you need to have the touch for it. If you're obviously not fishing at or near Busse or below it's dam & discharge, it's a whole new fishery.

And when the 'flows completely suck, I have a small set of ponds that I recently found - just barely west from me.

They give up the occasional good Bass here and there. Other than that, they're just worth a quick trip with the baitcaster and spinnerbait.

Majority of these places I'm fishing are size-exempt waters. I take what I can get.

So far this year, the fishing has been slow. Some days I fish for action, while on others I fish for size. It seems as if the weather has been inconsistent on a weekly basis. In addition, my schedule is all messed up and not being up north is killing me mentally, and emotionally.. It's disgusting.

Anyways, that's about all I've got to show for my efforts. It has been a slow year thus far, and I'm not liking one bit of it. At least I'm getting the chance to go fishing every day which most people never get to do, so that's cool!

Feel free to ask questions or PM or check out my website. Do whatever you want. :lol:

andrew

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
You are a lucky man to be able to fish everyday!

Looks like you have yourself some nice fishing holes! All the fish in the pics you posted looked real nice. Gotta love those eyes.

·
Registered
204 Posts
That sux andrew. Hopefully they figure wtf is going on . nice pix. have u tried to wade the fox river by elgin ? It seems u could do well up ther. Good luck in WIS. I just got back . I had 3 smallies 10+ sheep head 1/2 dozn wht bass and 2 sturgeon one was a little under 5'-0" . I have that one on video. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.