Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really will appreciate some help from the experts.

I would like to take my grandson to catch perch off the rocks at Montrose Harbor. Is May 26 too early in the season? When I do go, what bait should we use with our poles off the rocks.

Thank you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We did lousy yesterday fishing @montrose. We were located roughly 200-300 yards east of the harbor jetty, fishing the south side of the harbor.
I walked westward and the majority of the fish caught were just west of the jetty, along the harbor inlet. The numbers weren't too great, but there were a lot of jumbos in their bucket/basket. One looked to be around the 14" size, if not larger.

Most were using minnows.

·
Registered
453 Posts
No, it is not too early. They just came in and you have a pretty good chance of getting some nice fish. I limited out this morning at Montrose...all nice size fish too. I was jigging, but just use a basic setup...hook, minnow, and split shot about 14-16 inches away from the hook. Fish off the bottom and you'll feel them biting. You can also try a slip bobber rig with a minnow...just always make sure your bait is staying at least a foot off the bottom so you stay away from gobies. An important thing to remember is to only fish with good winds...S, W, and SW. Stay away from N or E winds. This morning was perfect. If you're going out make sure to go out very early morning or later in the afternoon when the sun sets. Good luck.

Phil

·
Registered
453 Posts
vcackerman said:
It's been years since I hit Montrose - we used to go with my dad when we were kids. We always fished in the harbor by the boats - where is the place to go now?
Most people fish on the lake side now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.