Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I have been getting into live bait fishing, specificaly jigging with minnows on Geneva. Its a nice change of pace, and something I have never really seriously done outside Canada. I was going to start trying to use perch for smallmouth up there, and was wondering how some of you rig the perch. I have used roaches a bunch, but only for pike while icefishing. I have no problem catching countless tiny perch in no time :roll: , so I tought it might be nice to capitalize on that. Any suggestions on the set up, or info about regulations I may have missed would be greatly appreciated. :D

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
My first suggestion is for you to read the rules and regs for whatever area you are fishing and make sure you are using legal perch as bait.

I haven't fished that rig before, but I'm sure you can find tons of info online. Do a google search for Wisconsin DNR

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
From the Wisc DNR site....

"Using Fish as Bait"

Fish other than minnows may be used as bait. Typically, bluegills and perch are used in this fashion. However, if there is a minimum length limit for the bait fish on that water, it still applies. For example, if there is an 8 inch minimum length limit on perch in the lake, the perch you are using for bait would have to be 8 inches or greater in length. Only fish caught in that water can be used as bait on that water, unless they are dead and have been preserved by a method that does not require refrigeration or freezing. Live game or rough fish cannot be moved away from a water, with a few very limited exceptions.

Also keep in mind that any fish that are caught and used as bait must be counted towards your daily bag limit. For example, you can only keep 25 panfish on most inland lakes, including any that were used as bait. Any fish that is not released immediately must be counted toward your daily bag limit, even if you later release it or lose it to a bigger fish.

For exceptions to the 25 panfish limit, please see the current hook and line regulations.

Also from Wisc dnr site ...specifically regarding Lake Geneva...

"Geneva Lake: The minimum length limit on northern pike is 32" with a daily bag limit of 1."

Looks to me like you're good to go ;)

Unless they changed something=)

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. Darth, thats the same stuff I found, couldnt find any extra regs. limiting length. Woohoo. :D Yeah Jaypee, I cant wait. This is something I have been thinking about for a while, but never tried.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.