Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Perchin w/ uncle Rockfish 6.17.06

9K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  will 
#1 ·
We perched again at the lighthouse from 5:30 to about 10 am and we just slayed em. We limited out but threw 8 dinks back and kept 22 eaters. Non-stop action as soon as we found the school. Mixed bag of gobies, rocks and a whole lotta poiches. Jason you missed out bro, the weather was saaweeet. The cool lake waters brought us a brisk breeze that kept us nice and refreshed. Perfect day of fishing.............................that was right up until our anchor got lodged in between some rocks and my dumbass suggested, "get me close to the rocks and I'll jump off and try and tug it free from the other angle"...............so i leap off the boat and as soon as i pushed off, the boat moved backwards and i had zippo forward movement. PLOP! In the water I go and banged up my shin and left foot against the rocks. YAAAOOOUUUCH! Not too bad. I managed to pull myself up out of the water and climbed onto the rocks. Water was about 65 and not too bad but I sorta went into shock. Not because of the water but because I almost got seriously injured. I was extremely lucky there were no sharp rocks beneath. Ok, so I learned my lesson to never atempt anything stupid like that anymore. Rock felt so bad he gave me all the poiches. Not to worry uncle, not your bad, and no I didn't curse at you all day. It must be someone else who's tickling your ears.

Anyway, glad to be alive and here's a pic of our catch.

See less See more
#7 ·
Meena and I perched at Montrose from 8:30-10:30pm. Saw a few guys leaving with a few nice catches and lots of folks out enjoying the gorgeous skyline and perfect weather. Man it was nice out last night!!!

Anyway, Meena picked up a nice fat poichy right away and that was it for the perchin. I picked up a feisty little rock bass and that was it for me. On a bright note...I ended up finding a ton of fish right up against the wall but they just wouldn't bite nothing. Tossed the minnows right in front of their nose without any action. Maybe they were asleep.

We're heading out there again with the minnows leftover and we'll see what happens tonight. We were fishing the red lighthouse. Tonight we'll be on the other side at the green lighthouse. All are welcome to come out and do some perchin.

#9 ·
I am just kind of getting into this whole fishing thing. How long does it take before you know what you're doing? I feel lost.

Oh, and I was at Montrose this past weekend and some guy was slayin the perch w/ softshell? What's softshell and can you get it at the Park Bait Shop?

Help me out. When should I fish at Montrose, what should I use, what should i fish for?

Oh, and I like going to the Skokie Lagoon as well. Caught a 10" Northern on a worm and a hook. LOL!!! I couldn't believe that. But, help me out w/ my fishing woes will ya?

#10 ·
First of all, welcome to WCF johnny!

too be honest, all anglers are lost to some degree. nobody knows exactly what works and there are no guarantees in fishing. that's why we fish so often to learn and experiment. this is one of the addictive factors in fishing. we think we're so much smarter than the fish but fish aren't as dumb as we like them to be. don't feel lost...we're all in the same boat. yeah, others will have decades of experience and know how to read the conditions better and that my friend comes from first hand experience. that's why i say read as much material as you can get a hold of.

checking up regularly on this site is one of the best tools you'll have as an angler. now you know that perch come to shore and into the harbors this time of year. read previous posts from the site and find out what these guys have been using at what body of water and in what conditions and soon you'll have a better understanding. fishing is a life long learning process my friend. be patient and enjoy the journey.

#11 ·
btw, softshells are too expensive. use medium to large fathead minnows. works just as well and you won't curse at the gobies when they eat your money away. hook up the minnow and send it to the bottom. you'll lose a few weights and hooks but that's fishing. i use a 1/4 -1/2 oz. bell shaped weight and tie on a #4 snell hook about 1-2 ft above the weight and let it hit bottom. reel in the slack and keep a tight line. i find that this rig almost always hooks the perch by themselves. good luck.

#14 ·
Ok nephew..... Does that mean your child would be my great niece?
My boys would have a new cousin?
LOL
Anyway, perch will always feed into the current just like any other fish. Just remember that.
Also remember to ask your fellow percher if its ok to fish right next to him/her.
Sunday morning we where the only boat out there in the early am. THE ONLY BOAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! To have a guy with a 50k ranger buzz us within 50ft of my anchored boat. Than to have him come within 10 yards trying to fish my spot with the trolling motor running full blast. I finally just casted right into there boat and he got hint. :lol: :lol:
When we left there was a dad and son fishing 100 ft away ,I told him to pull up into my spot so Ranger boy would not take it. Its always a good idea to respect other fishermen and you will rewarded with gifts.....
We caught over 250 perch on 12 dozen minows. Cost 13bucks. The softshells are going for 7 dollars a dozen which is very costly.
Henrys is the only place you can get that price on the minnows.
Also those 12 dozen I ordered had to be almost 2 1/2 times the count.(300 + minnows)

Also here is a video from a few years ago on the old red boat.....
http://www.rockfish44lb.com/Fish/perch%202004.WMV

Here are a few pics from this weekend .
Rockfish

#15 ·
You've been a pretty big help! I appreciate it. I am going to tell my buddy to sign up for this site too. We both just started fishing and we're both really getting into it...even though we haven't caught much of anything yet. This weekend we hope to get hot though.

Oh, by the way, I live pretty close to North Park College and the Lincoln Ave. bridge over by Lincoln Village and never even thought to fish over there. But, it's not bad? I mean, if you catch fish, can you eat them?

#18 ·
hey uncle! man, you should of called me. if it was an early morning run i may have been able to make it.

250!!!!!!! :shock: I hope you were joking. that's some serious action and them poiches are nice and fat.

yeah, that sucks when some a-hole parks right next to you with all that water.

did you send II to get that anchor???? lol

#19 ·
Augy, I could be wrong but doesn't the Chicago River's current flow north and west?

I mean I'm not saying that would make the fish under the Lincoln bridge clean enough to eat, but I just got to thinking and my thoughts were that the river water up by the Howard Street Water Reclamation Station would never touch the water by Lincoln.

Correct me if I'm wrong!

Thanks Augy.

#20 ·
johnnyho34 said:
Augy, I could be wrong but doesn't the Chicago River's current flow north and west?

I mean I'm not saying that would make the fish under the Lincoln bridge clean enough to eat, but I just got to thinking and my thoughts were that the river water up by the Howard Street Water Reclamation Station would never touch the water by Lincoln.

Correct me if I'm wrong!

Thanks Augy.
I think the water flows south and east. At least that's what I've noticed fishing at Howard, the Lincoln bridge, and Foster. Even if the water flowed straight up into the air, it would probably still smell like it does now :) But at least the fish don't seem to mind the stink too much.

#22 ·
Hay Callie dude..........

They reversed the flow of that river back in the early 1900's.

Thats right, you heard right. They had a wizard come over from the hills of Babalon and waved his magic wand and wamo the river ,instead of flowing into the lake it flows southwest into the mississippi .....

The Lake water level the last time i went though the locks was around 18"above the river level.

One of the seven engineering wonders of the United States.

http://www.chipublib.org/004chicago/tim ... rflow.html
wink wink

Rockfish

#24 ·
Seeing that we dump our "waste" water into the Chicago river, someone with a brain that it would be a good idea to stop flowing it into the lake where our DRINKING WATER comes from. I agree with the nearly 100 year old action of reversing the river. Kudos to the engineers that pulled that one off. Let the losers in St. Louis drink our leftovers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.