Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After getting out with mplant and the gang this morning and getting a couple of decent perch I took a short nap, ate some lunch... and decided I needed to fish more. I have this 14" fish goal for june and I've not gotten one that big yet.

I got out to the lakefront, found some smaller perch, again, like yesterday afternoon the action was slow but steady. I then decided to hike the seawall until I found where the water cleared up. I'm always a believer in fishing "the mudline" after maybe 20 casts or so I got SLAMMED by a big guy. Got him up to the wall and swung him in. It measured 13.75" Close!! My 14" perch is still out there somewhere but this one was great.

Took some photos of it in the studio, it was too beautiful not to.

Perch action has been decent lately, I just haven't struck it rich yet. Today I worked on a timed pop and retrieve and I found out a good interval and speed to reel and pop every so many seconds. It's what made me get my fish in the afternoon, I found that they would only hit if I had absolute feel and control over my artificials.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Nice fish Tom! I just love the tails on those perch. I dont know why. Your 14"+ is out there somewhere, sniffing that hook on every cast just to tease you. *thats what I keep telling myself* :lol:

If you ever want to hit the lake again in the afternoon, give me a call. My weekday mornings are pretty shot b/c of work but evening...i'm game. Good luck and see you around.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
catch88 said:
Nice fish Tom! I just love the tails on those perch. I dont know why. Your 14"+ is out there somewhere, sniffing that hook on every cast just to tease you. *thats what I keep telling myself* :lol:

If you ever want to hit the lake again in the afternoon, give me a call. My weekday mornings are pretty shot b/c of work but evening...i'm game. Good luck and see you around.
Awesome, I think from here on out perch should be relatively steady, even if it's slow and steady it's still fun to go out and do it anyways. I had fun with you that cold morning at Navy Pier, we'll go before July, for sure man. Thanks for the message.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Islandfisher said:
Nice perch Cam. I enjoy all of your photos taken in your "studio", they always turn out great.
Thanks, I'm still working on the Great Lakes Fish project, but I've pigeon holed myself with perch right now because I can't spend any fishing minutes not targeting perch, I'm a little addicted. I keep meaning to keep a good rock bass specimen to photograph but I've yet to do that.

Thanks man!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Nice perch man. There are 14inchers out there trust me you will get one. A couple of years ago. I caught a 15 1/2 inch perch. I got that on the wall now. You say in your studio are you a taxidermist?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ejeraser said:
Nice perch man. There are 14inchers out there trust me you will get one. A couple of years ago. I caught a 15 1/2 inch perch. I got that on the wall now. You say in your studio are you a taxidermist?
No I'm a photographer. I'm sure I'll get a 14 incher soon, I'm in no hurry, just enjoying the perch action and daily sunrises over Lake Michigan. 15 1/2!! That's giant.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Im a newbie here. Caught my first perch yesterday!

ahem..

I'd be honored to tag along with some anglers such as yourselves see what I can learn. It is hard for me to get out in the mornings due to work too, but evenings weekends would be great.

Let me know if you wouldn't mind some newbie company

cheers!

-mo

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cool, congrats on your first perch. The Perchin' crew has sort of swiched over to trout and salmon lately. We've been throwing spoons at night from the piers and fishing tributaries in Indiana for Steelhead in the morning.

If we plan a trip for perch I'll shoot you a P.M.

Thanks for your interest man, keep it up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
@ thanks man, I appreciate you keeping me in mind. You even answered a question I had yet to ask. Whats after perch.

The perch I caught was 8-9" I wanted to release him but the hook was down in his mouth a bit, after wrestling with it for a bit, I asked someone for their pliers. The guy says when its in his throat like that he will die anyway and that I may as well keep him. Is that true? he sure was tasty.

Now I can quest for perch #2 lol,. plan on getting out to northerly early sat morning, and spending the better part of the day out there.

Question: about this salmon/trout pier fishing. Is this something you can do in the city? I live in bridgeport, can I walk out to the tip of the pier on 31st street and realistically catch a salmon?

thanks in advance,

-mo

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.