Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,064 Posts
Rambler- Lucy is a gorgeous dog! How big is she?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,224 Posts
Found this runt and 6 of his siblings under a cement stair near a busy street, they were all about a week maybe 2 weeks old at the time. Bottle fed them for a few weeks and found homes for most, kept him and eventually got his sister when her caretaker passed away. I wouldn't spare any expense to keep these guys around, Sonny (in picture) swallowed a magnet when he was young which cost $1300 to get out, got attacked by a bat during the day and was under quarantine for rabies concern, and most recently developed a kidney issue where he lost 50% of his weight. Through much effort he is about as healthy as before and gained 75% of his weight back. Fluids every 3rd day for the past 2 years and 4 different types of RX food have him happy and playing like a 2 year old....these guys are at least 10 now.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,740 Posts
Our two trouble-makers.

On the left - Nilla, a rescue. One of her litter-mates was DNA tested by a family that rescued it that we have kept in touch with. She's part Great Pyrenees, part American Eskimo, part Newfoundland, part Chow. We have started to think she has dwarfism, honestly. Lol. She should be huge. Her Mom was 85lbs. She's 40lbs and will be two in March, so she's done growing. Dunno how else to explain her small size. Unless she got her size entirely from the chow and AE, and her looks from the Newfy and GP. Even for an AE or Chow, she seems like she would be small, though, IMO.

On the right - Hawk. He's a Belgian Malinois that we got from some friends whose malis had pups, and is about 90lbs.(very big for a mali, actually) They wanted to keep this one, but he's an alpha like his Dad, and him and his Dad just did not get along. So we took him in 3 years ago when we bought our house. He'll be 4 in May.


My fiance(she said yes on Xmas Eve!) has a canary named Squeaks, and I have a 36 gallon saltwater reef tank with assorted critters and corals, with the highlight being a pair of clownfish.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,064 Posts
Smallie, do you have any extra mini brittle stars I could buy? I hear they multiply like crazy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,659 Posts
ah yes the salt tank aka money pit aka tank full of manual labor. i had a 120 back in highschool. had fun doing daily work on it until it wasnt fun anymore. they are spectacular to look at though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,740 Posts
I don't have any actually Phil. I have 10 Blue leg hermits, 5 astraea snails, 3 bumble bee snails, two nassarius snails, two cerith snails, lots of bristleworms, a black ocellaris clown, and an orange ocellaris clown. Had a purple firefish, but he died. And like 20 assorted corals.

They're not too bad once they're established urban. Mine has been up for 4 years this coming May. Only thing I have to do to it now is a 5 gallon water change twice a month, and daily water topoffs. It has turned into its own little self-managing ecosystem at this point.

120g is quite a bit different than my 36g though. A lot more involved. More room for error though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
952 Posts
Possibly the most useless animal in existence. Will have nothing to do with water, boats, the outdoor elements or anything else relative to my lifestyle. In spite of what RonG says( :D ), if an intruder got in the house, they would be warmly greeted like a long lost friend as she has no idea what a stranger is. This is my 12yr old whippet, Riley.

Riley was brought home as an xmas present for my dad in 2006. I inherited her after he passed in 2009. In her younger years, she was an excellent frisbee dog& have clocked her as fast as 38mph. Nowadays, curling up under a blanket on the couch is more her speed.


Even though she's a major cramp in my style as far as planning my daily life, it'd be hard to imagine life without her.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,587 Posts
SmalliesNEyes said:
They're not too bad once they're established urban. Mine has been up for 4 years this coming May. Only thing I have to do to it now is a 5 gallon water change twice a month, and daily water topoffs. It has turned into its own little self-managing ecosystem at this point.

120g is quite a bit different than my 36g though. A lot more involved. More room for error though.
Mine is the same, I'm starting my 3rd year with this tank and its come to the point I only gotta top off the water once a week or so. I check my levels and everything is right where it needs to be. Pull out the filter media, wring it out, and its good to go another 2 weeks. I haven't done a water change since I went from gravel to sand in June and the only fish I've had die on me are fish the damn gar eats lol.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,740 Posts
Woohoodude11 said:
SmalliesNEyes said:
They're not too bad once they're established urban. Mine has been up for 4 years this coming May. Only thing I have to do to it now is a 5 gallon water change twice a month, and daily water topoffs. It has turned into its own little self-managing ecosystem at this point.

120g is quite a bit different than my 36g though. A lot more involved. More room for error though.
Mine is the same, I'm starting my 3rd year with this tank and its come to the point I only gotta top off the water once a week or so. I check my levels and everything is right where it needs to be. Pull out the filter media, wring it out, and its good to go another 2 weeks. I haven't done a water change since I went from gravel to sand in June and the only fish I've had die on me are fish the damn gar eats lol.
Saltwater is a little different. You have to replenish nutrients and such using the salt, or your stony corals will die, not grow, etc. They use calcium to build their skeletons. Calcium is in the salt we do water changes with. They're a must in a saltwater reef tank. If your tank is FOWLR(fish only, with live rock) then they're not quite as important, but if you're keeping corals, like I do, then a water change every two weeks is mandatory. Don't feel like losing all that money invested in my corals. If you only keep soft corals(ones that don't build stony skeletons) like mushrooms and things like that, then they're also not quite as important.

Oh, and nice looking pets all! Not surprising that a board full of avid outdoorsmen have a ton of different pets.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,587 Posts
SmalliesNEyes said:
Woohoodude11 said:
SmalliesNEyes said:
They're not too bad once they're established urban. Mine has been up for 4 years this coming May. Only thing I have to do to it now is a 5 gallon water change twice a month, and daily water topoffs. It has turned into its own little self-managing ecosystem at this point.

120g is quite a bit different than my 36g though. A lot more involved. More room for error though.
Mine is the same, I'm starting my 3rd year with this tank and its come to the point I only gotta top off the water once a week or so. I check my levels and everything is right where it needs to be. Pull out the filter media, wring it out, and its good to go another 2 weeks. I haven't done a water change since I went from gravel to sand in June and the only fish I've had die on me are fish the damn gar eats lol.
Saltwater is a little different. You have to replenish nutrients and such using the salt, or your stony corals will die, not grow, etc. They use calcium to build their skeletons. Calcium is in the salt we do water changes with. They're a must in a saltwater reef tank. If your tank is FOWLR(fish only, with live rock) then they're not quite as important, but if you're keeping corals, like I do, then a water change every two weeks is mandatory. Don't feel like losing all that money invested in my corals. If you only keep soft corals(ones that don't build stony skeletons) like mushrooms and things like that, then they're also not quite as important.

Oh, and nice looking pets all! Not surprising that a board full of avid outdoorsmen have a ton of different pets.
Funny enough, i use salt in my fresh tank. Its good for gill function and helps with fish coloration and is the most natural low impact way to get rid of ich. Albeit, it only calls for 1 heaping tablespoon per 5 gallons. I use the big orange Home Depot bucket for my tank stuff, so that whole thing takes 1 scoop of salt.

I thought of starting a 13 gallon saltwater nano. The startup cost very quickly changed my mind. Then getting into the price of nice looking frags and whatnot made it easy to forget about it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,064 Posts
The gf has a saltwater tank, you can find some quality (but small) frags on craigslist for $5-15. The guys are usually nice and occasionally hook it up with extra frags
 
1 - 20 of 73 Posts
Top