Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Aux: That's just f'ing hilarious.

Phil: Thanks. Yes Lucy is a pretty girl. She weighs 50 lbs. She's the sweetest dog ever. Funny thing is, shepards & blue healers are supposed to be really smart. But through the mystery of DNA she got short changed on brains. Great dog anyway.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
^^^I love cats but they're sadistic shits. We had one years ago that caught mice, ate just their ears, tail & feet & then left them where my wife was sure to step on them in the morning. I swear that cat enjoyed it all.

Gunner just kills them & stuffs their dead bodies under the hassock in the den.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
RonG said:
She got fat and lazy in her older years, but retired with a nice pile of cash.
A girl after my heart! The older I get the more I appreciate my memories of pets I've had. Our dog, Tyler and our Maine ****, Gus were each one of a kind.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
I'm more of a dog guy but this is what Mark Twain said about cats:

"Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat."

Of course he also said, "Heaven works on favor. If it worked on merit you would stay out and your dog would go in".

The guy knew what he was talking about.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
The all-time best aquarium shop was Webers on Lincoln in Morton Grove. The guy who ran it knew everything there was to know about aquariums.

Unfortunately they closed years ago. The big box stores put him out of business.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
We had a cat years ago that was scarred to death of butterflies. I've had cats for years and have come to the conclusion that they are on a permanent trip. Must be fun.

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
cletedius: So sorry to hear of your loss. There's nothing that compares to the companionship and loyalty of a great dog. I wrote this letter to the editor of the Tribune about 7 years back about my old guy Tyler:

'This is in response to "Chicago man accused of tossing pup from car" (News, Dec 23.). As I write I'm sitting in my front room. 10 feet from me, lying on the floor is my dog.

He's a rangy-looking mutt of questionable ancestry. He's also the smartest, most wonderful dog I've ever known.

We got him when some unthinking fool tossed him from his car in front of a local school. He was a 2 month old puppy. His tail had been chopped off and he showed psychological effects of other abuse.

My daughter saw him, fell in love and brought him home. That was over 15 years ago. He was just diagnosed with 'old dog syndrome' and is clearly in his declining years.

But every day with him has been a gift. Our kids grew up with him. He has a heart as big as the world.

I've always wondered what goes through someone's mind when he throws a dog out of a car or dumps one on the street or in a forest preserve. I can only guess that for some reason - some flaw in his personality - that he can't appreciate how the love and loyalty of a wonderful dog can effect your life.'

My guy Tyler died 2 years later just shy of what I figured was his 17th birthday. In addition to old dog syndrome he had a thyroid condition. When he was diagnosed with it at age 14 the vet said he probably wouldn't last 6 months. When the day finally came when he had to be put down she came to our house to take care of him. The 1st thing she said when she came in our door was, "I can't believe he's lived this long". To this day I thank my lucky stars my daughter brought him home.

There is nothing like a great dog. Everyone who's had one knows this. And to quote Mark Twain one more time, "Heaven works on favor. If it worked on merit you would stay out and your dog would go in".

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts