Chicago Fishing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
Aux: That's just f'ing hilarious.

Phil: Thanks. Yes Lucy is a pretty girl. She weighs 50 lbs. She's the sweetest dog ever. Funny thing is, shepards & blue healers are supposed to be really smart. But through the mystery of DNA she got short changed on brains. Great dog anyway.

·
Registered
7,726 Posts
Okay, the non photo 'bombed' shots.

'Snickers' -female German Shorthair Pointer

IMG_20180105_9695.jpg

'Twix' - Tortoiseshell like my sunglasses.

IMG_20180105_20539.jpg

When we moved up to Gurnee this year, Twix started the summer off by bringing a Toad home every day. We didn't have Toads in the yard in River Grove. Apparently cats enjoy mutilating toads.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
^^^I love cats but they're sadistic shits. We had one years ago that caught mice, ate just their ears, tail & feet & then left them where my wife was sure to step on them in the morning. I swear that cat enjoyed it all.

Gunner just kills them & stuffs their dead bodies under the hassock in the den.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Rambler said:
^^^I love cats but they're masochistic shits. We had one years ago that caught mice, ate just their ears, tail & feet & then left them where my wife was sure to step on them in the morning. I swear that cat enjoyed it all.
The cat was probably trying to give you the mouse as a gift. A way to sort of pull its weight around the house. We had a couple cats growing up that would do that. One would drop dead mice in your bed while you were sleeping.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Here's mine, he's 12 1/2 years old, had him since 3 months. He loves the dog beach. Used to bring him out to Busse with me quite a bit when I lived in Elk Grove Village, he may have harassed a few of you before. Two tumors removed from his right forelimb in the last two years, and he started needing twice a day insulin shots this winter. I start my days chasing him around trying to get him to whiz on a stick so I can test his glucose before the sun comes up. Anyway I really love the little guy and spend as much time with him as possible these days. Great thread Joe, and really liked seeing everyone's pics etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
urbanHog312 said:
just got this guy last week; my new bird dog named Blue. a golden wasn't my first choice for a breed but the wife overruled and i'm glad she did because he is showing great progress with training. he has a strong drive and a really birdy instinct.
Urban, your pup definitely gets the "To freaking adorable" award so far. When I was growing up my dad had two professionally trained German shorthairs with field trial champion parents...and we had a Setter runt that was our house pet...Rusty just had that special DNA some dogs have, he quartered, set and retrieved instinctively and kicked the shit out of those Shorthairs in the field....I have a photo somewhere where he was set on a blind retrieve for a pheasant that the Shorthairs couldn't fetch and he's got that pheasant in his mouth with looks like a big ass grin and he was definitely strutting on the way back.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Tackle bag Tyson, he's 3. The kitten, Pounce on anything Poncho and big Giz. The GF's 15 year old. I use our cats to practice retrieves. Poncho is like every 12" bass and will pounce on anything that moves. Tyson requires a more erratic stop and go retrieve and ole' Gizmo requires deadsticking catnip enhanced toys to get him to move at all. Tyson and Poncho love to play fetch, Poncho will actually point at hidden toys occasionally...and gizzy plays tug-of-war. So even though I want a dog the GF says "You don't need a dog, you have 3 cars that think they're dogs" good point. The little ones are constant companions while I work on tackle late at night and Poncho watches fishing shows with me. Hell, forget dogs, I don't need kids ;) Btw Tyson is every living creatures best friend. He's never met an animal domestic or wild he didn't want to clean, play with and sleep with...non sexually, being a eunuch and all

Attachments

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Tyson looks mental in that first pic :lol:
I've grown up with cats my whole life. I've been lucky to get good ones that don't cause me to loathe felines. Haven't felt a need to change this pattern.

·
Registered
5,712 Posts
A great thread for these cold days when many are not fishing. A fine looking collection of pooches and kitties, all with their own goofy personalities...

Cletedius's dog Riley...

is one of the most stunning and beautiful pets I've ever seen and even though it's been awhile, I consider a good friend. 8) Since my Red Hot is gone, I've been wondering if Riley is alive and well and am thrilled to hear she is doing fine.

Anyhow, the hurt of losing Red Hot at only 10 years of age has kept me and my family away from getting from another. She was my reliable fishing companion even though she was impatient and would always be asking while I fished, "Can we just go home already?!?"

DSCF0005.JPG

Red.JPG

She got fat and lazy in her older years, but retired with a nice pile of cash.

unnamed.jpg

A few months after her passing we brought Roger home, but the kids were not ready for another Wiener Dog as nothing would serve to replace the irreplaceable.

1296250385.jpg

Not only was Roger naughty and a PIA, but we found he had digestive issues that would require an expensive surgery right off the bat, so we took the sellers up on the money-back offer they verbally gave us, so Red Hot was really our last pet.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
RonG said:
She got fat and lazy in her older years, but retired with a nice pile of cash.
A girl after my heart! The older I get the more I appreciate my memories of pets I've had. Our dog, Tyler and our Maine ****, Gus were each one of a kind.

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
I'm more of a dog guy but this is what Mark Twain said about cats:

"Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the lash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with the cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat."

Of course he also said, "Heaven works on favor. If it worked on merit you would stay out and your dog would go in".

The guy knew what he was talking about.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I've been seeing some sweet planted tanks on Instagram. I switched to a mire natural look with sand and driftwood in June and tried to go the planted route with no luck. I might need to scale down and hone the craft before going all-out again.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Woohoodude11 said:
I've been seeing some sweet planted tanks on Instagram. I switched to a mire natural look with sand and driftwood in June and tried to go the planted route with no luck. I might need to scale down and hone the craft before going all-out again.
Yeah, there is more to it than that. The substrate, the lighting, fertilizer, the species of plant relative to how much lighting. a lot of those super lush tanks have CO2 injection too. You really need to put the lights on a timer too. taht's important that it cycles.
I just used a 10 gallon with incandescent fixtures and used 5000K CFLs. The substrate is Seachem and I went to that huge Aquarium store in Bolingbrook where they set me up plants that are easy to grow. So far none of the plants have died, but I have not needed to trim them back. Snails are totally out of control. I am going to get one of those carnivorous snails that eat other snails.
This tank is going to be converted soon to a 20L with LED lighting. I want to try to get the carpet green floor going.

I totally dig some of the new Fluval tanks. Like the Flex. Those are sharp and there should be enough

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Assassin snails! well worth the price you pay for em. I believe the store you're talking about is Aquarium Adventure? We have one in Schaumburg and their selection is excellent, but their prices are highway robbery. They also employ high school kids that just want a job and offer bad advice. I always test a place and ask a kinda tricky question I know the answer to to see how they answer. They've failed several times.

I'm running a 55 gal with LED lighting on a 12 hour timer. I have an asshole Bala Shark that is incredibly skittish when the lights are out so I wouldn't doubt if he's the reason plants got uprooted/died. I've also been fighting a mild black beard algae problem for over a year now that I can't seem to shake. I'll get a few spores on the glass and had to toss a few plastic plants due to them getting coated, didn't seem to get to the plants (the short time I had em). I do still have a sword plant in there that is all dilapidated but alive.

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
The all-time best aquarium shop was Webers on Lincoln in Morton Grove. The guy who ran it knew everything there was to know about aquariums.

Unfortunately they closed years ago. The big box stores put him out of business.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts