Chicago Fishing Forum banner
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Rambler said:
The all-time best aquarium shop was Webers on Lincoln in Morton Grove. The guy who ran it knew everything there was to know about aquariums.
Unfortunately they closed years ago. The big box stores put him out of business.
X2! That place was cool. Memories for sure. Used to ride my bike there weekly. Bought many fish from them over the years.Would love to have gotten 1 of the rock backgrounds that they used in all their tanks.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Woohoodude11 said:
Assassin snails! well worth the price you pay for em. I believe the store you're talking about is Aquarium Adventure? We have one in Schaumburg and their selection is excellent, but their prices are highway robbery. They also employ high school kids that just want a job and offer bad advice. I always test a place and ask a kinda tricky question I know the answer to to see how they answer. They've failed several times.

I'm running a 55 gal with LED lighting on a 12 hour timer. I have an asshole Bala Shark that is incredibly skittish when the lights are out so I wouldn't doubt if he's the reason plants got uprooted/died. I've also been fighting a mild black beard algae problem for over a year now that I can't seem to shake. I'll get a few spores on the glass and had to toss a few plastic plants due to them getting coated, didn't seem to get to the plants (the short time I had em). I do still have a sword plant in there that is all dilapidated but alive.
Yeah that's the place. Prices on filters, food etc are pretty much the same everywhere unless you shop online. They run sales where plants or fish are marked down 25 or 30%, I don't remember exactly but it was cheap. I had luck with the staff there but I research everything beforehand. Like here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/
I think pet stores with aquarium stuff got squeezed out because the market shrunk. Keeping an aquarium just isn't as popular as it once was.

Keeping a heavily planted tank AND fish is tough. Most of the really epic plant tanks I have seen have very few if any fish.
Personally I really dig some of the new nano tanks. That's cool stuff.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Fluval has an excellent nano setup for saltwater. Comes with everything but the skimmer. I looked into it and after spending the initial ~$200 on the tank, I'd be looking at another $300+ to get it started and cycling (no fish or frags included). But yeah, generally the reef tanks/planted tanks will only have fish/inverts that are beneficial to the plants (algae eaters, shrimp, etc).

Its a cryin shame how the hobby is dwindling. The smaller shops have bigger fish and better variety. PetsMart has tiny little guppies and what have you for start ups, but once you get some experience you want bigger and better. That place in Park Ridge was so nice, I was shocked when they closed up. My favorites as of late have been Sho Tank in Mundelein and Coral Reef in Norridge. Sho Tank specializes in salt, but their freshwater prices can't be beat. The dry side of their store is lacking, however. Coral Reef is great too, and if you're looking for something specific they'll order it for you (I got my Florida Gar from them for only $30, Aquarium Adventure sells them for $60)

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
KankRat said:
Anybody doing a native tank? I would like to do one day with darters and such.
Its always been on my mind. I'd want a huge 500 gallon+ tank though so its a pipedream

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I said these 2 are either with me or on me every time I'm rigging or playing with my tackle. I try to stay vigilant with the hooks but one of these days one of them is going to get hooked and it ain't going to be pretty. I've done hook removal surgery on a cat before and the sound they make is blood curdling. Still nice to have them around late at night tinkering around

Attachments

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
vman01 said:
Heddon,
Might have something to do with all those jars of pickled pork and fish sent.
V, I'll have to see what they think of pork. I know Ty (orange) has a psychotic fear of any type of creature bait or worm. Just totally freaks out. If you put one on him he spins around like a Tasmanian devil trying to get it off. He reactions to soft plastics are definitely video worthy, wish we could post them on here

·
Registered
5,717 Posts
We had a cat years ago that was scarred to death of butterflies. I've had cats for years and have come to the conclusion that they are on a permanent trip. Must be fun.

·
Registered
886 Posts
RonG said:
Cletedius's dog Riley...

is one of the most stunning and beautiful pets I've ever seen and even though it's been awhile, I consider a good friend. 8) Since my Red Hot is gone, I've been wondering if Riley is alive and well and am thrilled to hear she is doing fine.
Ron, its with a very heavy heart that I have to report the sad news that our friend Riley left us this morning. Feeling completely numb, & suspect that will last a bit.
Started out the day yesterday as her usual self. Got called to fish an afternoon trip. After I got home & we both had our dinner, her breathing was gradually becoming shallow & labored. She couldnt hop up into the bed to take up her usual post on top of my leg. Her breathing became worse as the night went on. In the a.m., took her to nearby vet who said her lungs were full of fluid, & xrays were indicating an enlarged heart. The vet ran down what would need to happen to deal with the symptons she was experiencing which would then allow him to look at what the root cause was. During the time I was in the vets office, she was obviously going downhill fast & in distress. Riley was 12.5 yrs old & having had 4 other whippets in the family over the years, & seeing 3 of them go between 11-13.5 yrs, & the other just making it to 14, the decision was made to not subject her to being boarded in the unfamiliar setting of a vetrinary hospital for a minimum of 2-3days, only to face a very uncertain prognosis, & in all likelyhood be in the same position in the next 12-18months(& thats if everything went as optimal as possible). Ultimately the decision was made to end her suffering, and not subject her to more than the 1 bad night shes ever had. Not going to lie, was truly a gut-wrenching proposition, & Im not so sure it wont haunt me, but I felt it was the path of least trauma for her mental/physical well-being.
Anyway Ron, always appreciated your sentiments towards Riley, & just wanted to let you know.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Sorry for your loss clet

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
I wish I hadn't clicked on this...but I appreciate you taking the time to post. I'm really sorry for the loss of Riley. :cry: I feel choked up, with the same feeling I had last week with the news of the horrible school shooting. She sure was a great and super-cool dog and friend. I'm glad I got to enjoy her at the lakefront. Here's to hoping for some good news, for a change, in the near future.

·
Super Moderator
3,444 Posts
Sorry for your loss! We had to put our dog down earlier this month. She was a Rott/Lab mix and developed Osteosarcoma (bone cancer). We had one operation on her face to remove it, but then it went into her legs and there was nothing we could do. She was only 6.

I will be getting a German Shepherd in the middle of March, going to Kentucky to pick her up. She's 5 weeks old now. Wanted one my whole life so we are looking forward to having a dog in the house again.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Sorry for the losses guys. :cry:

I put a dog down last year around this time. It always sucks. The worst part for me is standing there while they give em the shot. Petting em while they look you in the eyes. Just watching and knowing what is happening when they're completely unaware that it's the end themselves. Brings me to tears every time. :cry:

·
Registered
684 Posts
Sorry to hear cletedius and afalconsvick.

My dog got nailed by a skunk last night. Very bad and didn't realize it until I let him in. Whole house smelled like skunk and that burnt rubber smell. Laid two bowls of white wine vinegar in front of two fans and it cleared up in a few hours. Still smelled it a little when I walked in the door just now though. Tis the begin'n of the season for that I guess.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts