Chicago Fishing Forum banner
61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
5,742 Posts
cletedius: So sorry to hear of your loss. There's nothing that compares to the companionship and loyalty of a great dog. I wrote this letter to the editor of the Tribune about 7 years back about my old guy Tyler:

'This is in response to "Chicago man accused of tossing pup from car" (News, Dec 23.). As I write I'm sitting in my front room. 10 feet from me, lying on the floor is my dog.

He's a rangy-looking mutt of questionable ancestry. He's also the smartest, most wonderful dog I've ever known.

We got him when some unthinking fool tossed him from his car in front of a local school. He was a 2 month old puppy. His tail had been chopped off and he showed psychological effects of other abuse.

My daughter saw him, fell in love and brought him home. That was over 15 years ago. He was just diagnosed with 'old dog syndrome' and is clearly in his declining years.

But every day with him has been a gift. Our kids grew up with him. He has a heart as big as the world.

I've always wondered what goes through someone's mind when he throws a dog out of a car or dumps one on the street or in a forest preserve. I can only guess that for some reason - some flaw in his personality - that he can't appreciate how the love and loyalty of a wonderful dog can effect your life.'

My guy Tyler died 2 years later just shy of what I figured was his 17th birthday. In addition to old dog syndrome he had a thyroid condition. When he was diagnosed with it at age 14 the vet said he probably wouldn't last 6 months. When the day finally came when he had to be put down she came to our house to take care of him. The 1st thing she said when she came in our door was, "I can't believe he's lived this long". To this day I thank my lucky stars my daughter brought him home.

There is nothing like a great dog. Everyone who's had one knows this. And to quote Mark Twain one more time, "Heaven works on favor. If it worked on merit you would stay out and your dog would go in".

Attachments

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
ugh that sucks. Sorry for your losses Cletedius and Afalconsvick. We are days away from putting my GF's big Mo' down. He was at his peak, a 22lb Tom and Matriarch of a 6 pet household at one time. A very dignified gent. I will miss our daily tug of war game with his favorite robe belt and recently sneaking him half-n-half every night, trying to keep his weight up. Damn, this will make the 3rd pet in the last 6 months I have had to put down. All but 1 of the old guard from when both our kids were wee ones will be gone and the last one will be sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am in love with the dogs and I opened a dog shelter for the dogs in my city because I cannot see them suffering. I also try to feed them correctly with healthy food for dogs each of the breed having its personal menu that includes the nutrients they need for being strong. I have a facebook page where I ask people to adopt these little creatures because they deserve to be raised in a loving family and not just be kept in such a place. I treat them well, but it is not the same.

·
Registered
497 Posts
20201219_023804.jpg
Just came across this thread, don't know how I missed it the first time. Really enjoyed reading about and seeing everyone's pets, except for the sad stories. I hope time has healed, at least somewhat. Here's a pic of my Kitty (that's her name- original, right?) She's the definition of the word scaredy cat. Afraid of outside, wind, basically anything bigger than a fly that moves or makes noise, but she has her moments where she becomes ninja kitty, running around attacking everything in sight, its called the zoomies- just a thing cats do- like Rambler said, cats are on a permanent trip.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
My dog and old lady's cat. Meant to post them awhile ago, but figured they weren't going anywhere. They are extremely well behaved and super easy to care for.

Sammi was a Black Lab (15yrs) and Lady (17yrs) was a big Calico beach ball. My old lady has been after me to get another pet and I keep telling her she has me to take care of... and look how well that's not working out. lol

Attachments

·
Banned
1 Posts
I recently got a hunting dog as a gift from my aunt. My uncle is an avid hunter and has a lot of these dogs. The issue is that they have so much energy and all he wants is to be out. I think of him on regular walks, but it seems that I might be feeding him the wrong food. So I'm still looking for a reliable source that can provide a good deal of information trustworthy enough to follow. I actually love dogs so much that I'm looking up information on how to become a dog trainer. I think it will be something more for filling than the job I have at Walmart.

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
Bakervic said:
I'm still looking for a reliable sources that can provide a good deal of information trust worthy enough to follow.
You found it! Most anything you need to know about anything can be found here in the archives or in the heads of our quality members. Anything else we will gladly google for you. Welcome!

·
Banned
1 Posts
So sorry to hear of your loss. I know exactly how you are feeling. It's something that cannot be put into words. We were on the verge of something like this happening to us too last month. One of our dogs ate a big part of one of the toys. We didn't notice anything until he was feeling terrible. So we went to the vet and did everything to save him. Insurance saved us a lot of money. Happy I found this link a year ago Is Pet Insurance Worth It? and decided to purchase it. It made us not take into consideration the financial part and do everything in our power.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have an English bulldog named Joe, he is 4 years old, and he is adorable. But recently, my husband and I decided to get ourselves another dog, namely a husky. I was very worried that Joe would accept another member of the family. Then I started asking my friends if anyone else had the same problem. My friend told me that she had a similar problem and suggested me one site cleverpetowners.com. And I am very grateful to her for this, I did everything as recommended, and now the husky and bulldog are best friends, and it's very cool.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts