Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about possibly picking up a Bass Pro Shops Pete Maina musky rod this weekend. My question is does anybody here use these? I have heard some good things about them and some bad things. I know they are not an expensive setup, and you get what you pay for, but if they are decent enough, I might need one for a specific musky application.

If anybody could give me some feedback on this it would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Me and my pops musky fish every now and then, and his buddy BOB (A Musky Partner) uses a pete maina musky rod, I havent used it but I checked it out and it seems pretty sweet. Bob is an excellent musky fisherman, in fact musky are the only thing he ever fishes for. He only fishes for about a week every year though, but he always nails some nice fish.

So I would have to say id probably trust a petemana rod, if its good enough for one of the best muskymen I know, then its good enough for me. And pete mania ROCKS!

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have an 8ft Maina musky rod. The one I have can certainly hurl the big stuff. It has a counter-weight which seems to help, so I like that feature. It's got massive backbone and casts well. It's not particularly light or sensitive, but I think when you get into the big lumber that ceases to be the biggest concern. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Another good rod to give a whirl, is the BASSPRO brand musky rods, they are cheap as hell and fish great, definitely the best bang for the buck in my opinion. My buddy and I each bought one last year only cuz im not huge in musky fishin yet, and didnt want to drop the dime for a pete maina. Me and my friend both love our new BP rods, my ol man suggested em, and he was dead right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.