Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PG Report: 7/31/06.... Break Through (2)

Today after Football Practice Decided to head down to the Local spot I fished yesterday. Only to Fish The opposite side do to easier access with the bike, I did fish The spot I did in the last report but First two Fish were Small so I moved to try and Find a Few bigger ones. I fished from 3:30p.m. To 5:00p.m. I used the Same Preparation bait But With a Few more adjustments. Yesterday Evening I spent 5 Hours Making different Kind of Mixtures and Tank Testing it Then testing it through Running Bath Water. I Found Really Good Bait. Its more of a Chum And Bait Combination When it Gets into the water After about two minutes Particles From the bait Breaks up Sending It to the Surface And Releasing more Of the Scent, Which Attracts Carp to the Area, So While I'm Fishing I'm Also Attracting Carp. I'm fairly Confident This Special Dough bait Can Work in Every Kind of Body of Water. It can be stored in any temperature and stays on the hook well. The Carp eat some of the bait off or it breaks up and they go for the next bite and get hooked. Its Fairly Simple not complex at all. I'm Really Confident in this new Carp bait, I'm Very pleased And I think I've Found a Break Through in my secret Recipes A Bait and Chum Combination. !

Today while Fishing there was a Kayaker who had decided to go over the water falls... As soon as he went over The water fall Sucked him straight in and for a good 60 seconds nothing then his Kayak pops out and 30 seconds later he lays two finger on rocks close by to bring himself up to safety. He was very lucky. Every one watching including myself was amazed at his stupidity. I'm sure now He learned. Two other kayakers came and helped him to shore and helped retrieve his kayak and paddel.

Here's pictures of the outing, Two of the pictures The Camera was facing the sun and flashed so all you can see is pure white with an outline of me and the fish so Only posting the Pictures that came out good. All pictures were taken by myself on self-Timer.

*Conditions*

Temperature: 92

Sky: Partly Cloudy

Wind Range: Light (0-10mph)

Wind Direction: South

Weather Trends: Cooling

Barometer: Rising

Water temp: 71- 75

Water Color: Muddy Brown

Water Visibility: 1 Feet

Current Conditions: Fast

Bottom Conditions: Mud

* Out Come*

Caught: 8

Lost: 0

Released: 8

Fish Health: Healthy

*Equipment/Supplies*

Bait/Lure Presentation: Slow

Rod Used: Dawia Fire Wolf 10'6 Light

Reel used: pFlueger Trion 7 Ball Bearings

Line used: 10 Lb Trilene XT (CLEAR)

Lure/Hook: Size 8 Treble

Bait used: Special Preparation Dough Bait

*Season Tally*

Season Skunks: 1

Season Fish: 537

Season Outings: 35

Avg. Fish per Outing: 15.3

George

[email protected]

N.W. Chicago Illinois

Avid Multi-Species Fisherman

<8><

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Those r some nice carp !

·
Registered
702 Posts
Ok, now I gotta try targeting the carp that is reportedly in Opeka! Supposedly there are some pretty good size ones lurking around. They fight similar to a LMB, or like what? Keep the reports comming!!!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Man, over the waterfall in the Chicago River !?!? That guy's gonna be stinking it up for a good week :lol: Great report, George.

Topwater: from my limited experience, carp are very stronger fighters, but they surface much later than bass after being hooked and do a lot more running around. So it's definitely fun, but George can tell ya more :wink:

·
Registered
702 Posts
Itotally missed the kayak thing before! Unbelievable! We people do some really dumb things sometimes!

Thanks BravesFan, I gotta get out and give carp a try!

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
i wonder how much of that water he swallowed while he was under! :shock: yuck!!! i think i'm gonna hurl!

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was very surprised he came back up, i didn't think he was going to make it.

Carp ... They fight a variety of differant ways what i think best describes them is.. hooking your lure to the back of a train and holding on !!

The smaller ones will give you a big fight to.

I usullay use 4-8lb test for them But start using 12lb it'll work fine for you.

George

:D

·
Registered
702 Posts
cool, do they bit more in warm water, cool water, sun/clouds, calm/windy, what kind of bait and hook should I start with?

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
George, i've been meaning to ask you, why perch guy when your definately a carp guy? just wondering. :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well The Last year and a half I've been limited to perch fishing no way of getting there. i dont have a car, I have license and insurance on the family car but only can use that very little. Perch Guy because One day While fishing for perch i caught near 84 that day fishing with a jig and These group of anglers came by and ask "what the hell is he using" ? They told him " I dont know" Go ask the perch guy, So When i got into the online Fishing Forums Perch Guy is the name that Stuck.

Remember After Every report, It says ( Multi-Species Fisherman) I'm Surely not only a carp guy but a what ever is swimming in the waters i fish guy. You'll see my multi-species ability Once i get Transportation.

Topwater

Becuase your just starting out I wont get to technical For that Send me an E-mail [email protected] To start out I would suggest 10 lb Mono Filament.

You'll Need

Size 6 Bronze bait holder Hook
20 " Leader 10 or 8lb test
Barrel Swivel
1/2 Oz Egg Sinker

Put your sinker on your main line where it's able to move freely, Tie the barrel Swivel to the end of your main line. Tie Your Preffered leader to the swivel then the hook to the end of your leader. this Rig I call the slip-sinker rig Not positive on the real name could be the same. It allows the fish to feel little to no resistance And Allow you to pull in fish. there are a lot of differant types of rigs. Some specificly for the lunker carp that are really line shy and finicky.

Bait

To start out Just go Grab a can of Whole Kernal Sweet corn (Put all kernals on the hook the same way !! ) Or you can use Bread. Buy a Loaf of White Bread Sqeeze some onto your hook dip it into the water and cast out. Dont use the crust only the white of the bread

Chumming

Throw out half a handful of corn dont over do it or you'll miss alot of Fish. At a spot heavily fished for carp there is no need to chum at all.
Cast at the same spot you threw out your chum. If your fishing current throw it down strem to let it settle in your desired spot in front of you.

Good Luck

Any more Questions feel free to ask

George

·
Registered
235 Posts
Perch guy said:
I've often seen people near the foster dam climbing the dam wall, or even venturing onto the very edge of the water fall. Whenever I see someone do that, I think to myself, "I hope that guy doesn't fall in because I would hate to jump in to save him if he can't swim."

So to George, Jason, or anyone else who fishes the river regularly, I ask: (1) Do you guys think the water near the foster area is deep enough to for someone to drown? (I don't know the depths right below the water fall, but the north branch of the river there does have a deeper channel.)
(2) If you see someone fall in who doesn't surface immediately, would you jump in to attemp a rescue (assuming of course you can swim yourself)?

Anyway, my mind always wanders down this path whenever I see someone playing recklessly near the river.

Perch guy said:
Carp ... They fight a variety of differant ways what i think best describes them is.. hooking your lure to the back of a train and holding on !!
That's a good way of describing it :lol:

·
Registered
93 Posts
bravesfan i don't know if this is true but my grandpa always told me it only takes 6" of water for the current to take you under he had alot of experience on the waters in chicago he worked for the city for like 35 years or something
i would never jump in after them (only as a last resort) i would try and find a long stick or pole and try get the person in the water to hold on it

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
BravesFan said:
Perch guy said:
I've often seen people near the foster dam climbing the dam wall, or even venturing onto the very edge of the water fall. Whenever I see someone do that, I think to myself, "I hope that guy doesn't fall in because I would hate to jump in to save him if he can't swim."

So to George, Jason, or anyone else who fishes the river regularly, I ask: (1) Do you guys think the water near the foster area is deep enough to for someone to drown? (I don't know the depths right below the water fall, but the north branch of the river there does have a deeper channel.)
(2) If you see someone fall in who doesn't surface immediately, would you jump in to attemp a rescue (assuming of course you can swim yourself)?

Anyway, my mind always wanders down this path whenever I see someone playing recklessly near the river.
No Way! They call them drowning machines for a reason. I am not going to drown especially if its becuz some cowboy decided to run the dam on a bet. Doesnt matter if its a foot deep, if your head is under water and you can't get up ur done. I would try other ways to save the person but I would never jump in the machine.

First time I waded the fox I got cocky and almost took a header into the spillway, I didnt take my time and my foot got caught between two boulders, almost lost my balance forward right into it, ever since then I am very very cautious.

Don't forget the two rescuers that drown at the yorkville dam (Fox) this year. Also heard stories of jet skis being sucked under attempting rescues. Those things are pretty buoyant too.

6 drowning fatalities on the fox this year, one last week, very tragic, and in my opinion they could have all been avoided.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
BTW nice job George! I have some ponds up by me that I have seen some monsters in. I mean fish that scared the crap outta me (thought they were big pike at first). These guys would prolly spool me. I mean my wingspan which is about 5ft, my wife didnt believe me until she saw it herself! Never seen carp that big. Do u think that corn would work just as well at a weed choked retention pond that doesnt get much fishing pressure?

Topwater I used to see alot of carp by the no fishing area in the early morning at opeka. Never could catch one but they were large. I was also very young so I guess anything is large when ur ten yrs old.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I don't know too much about carp, but there was this one pond I grew up fishing that had these monster carp in there, and my bud actually researched online and found out that they were grass carp. He spent all summer fishing for them using GRASS as bait, and he only pulled one out, but it had to have been 40-50lbs. What he did was put as much grass and hook it onto a really small hook and just let it sit on the surface and these monsters would come up in the evening with their heads on the surace and start slurping in the grass, kinda cool.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Thanks for your inputs, TSevs and MrB. I was pretty sure before that I wasn't going to jump, but now 100% sure of not doing anything like that in the future and feel less guilty about it.

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've took classes and I'm Qualified to work as a jr. Life Gaurd, But to Jump into the River to save someone else of there stupidity there is no way. Yes Like Mentioned above i would Defintly Try to help some how but will not jump in. If it was a child Of Coarse The tables Defintly Turn, I wouldn't Jump into the Falls at Foster but Will get to the Second Wall going into the river closes to the water fall and do the best I can. But Theres is no way I would go into the current Sucking me into the falls. Some times there isn't much you can do but watch and hope everyhting goes alright.

Mrb by describing the pond itself it sounds Like they are grass carp, You can Use a Size 8 hook With a thin peice of white bread on the hook where it's able to float, or you can use it on the bottom try both. I'm Not Positive on Grass carp But fRom my expierance Angling them out of BArely Fished Ponds I'd Go with A Size 8 Hook and corn under a thin blue gill float. But then again it'll probaly be stunted with starving bluegills in which case you can eaither go with the bread or grass on top of the water. I'm not sure ...

I can help you out a lot better if you answer these few Questions

Is the Water Clearity Really Good.. ?

Is the pond Stunted With Gills ?

What is the Average Depth About.. ?

And What are the bottom conditions ? Mud probaly ?

is there a lot of sumbmerged timber..snags.. ?

Will be able to give you a lot better advise if you anser these questions

Thanks

George

1 - 20 of 25 Posts