Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd post a poll but thought I'd save the time and just put this out there.
I just wondered how many people fish for pike and utilize braided line or leaders when fishing for Pike.
When I go out and focus on the pike/walleye I usually fish with a heavier line usually 8-10lb test and never use a lead. I can't say that I've caught a huge amount of pike and such but when I do I never use a leader. Whether it's casting artificials or just drifting a roach on a slip bobber, the times I do catch a fish I rarely lose them to being bit off.

This isn't some sort of self praise but I'm curious on other's approach. For example I know Jason focuses on Pike alot on the DPR in the northern suburbs and I wonder what he uses. I fish the DPR a fair amount and use the approach I've already mentioned.

Maybe it's my limitation of exposure to BIG Pike or just that I haven't evolved enough but I'm curious on what others use on a regular basis.

Thanks for any replies.
I'm thinking about this since April is upon us and the Pike should be picking up and I want to be armed and ready.

JB

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I have little experience but the knottable stainless leader I used today was pretty good. I had no trouble tying a uni to uni knot to tie it onto the line. And I did kink it up the first palomar I tried but it worked good witha improved clinch knot.

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
I always use a steel leader when fishing for pike and never for walleye. Never had a walleye bite my line off, but have had many pike do so. Unless you hook a pike on the very front of his mouth, he's likely to cut off regular line. If the hook's a little farther back or on the side, with his thrashing turns, your line probably will get cut. Walleyes tend to get hooked farther forward and their teethy mouths aren't long like a pike so you are safe without.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've always used a leader when fishing for pike with the exception of using spinnerbaits. This year, I've gone to a 50 lb. flouro saltwater leader and I haven't gotten bitten off. The real test is going to come when I use roaches or sucker, but I figure if the leader's good enough for toothy saltwater fish, it'll stand up to a pike or musky. I thought using 50 lb. braid wouldn't require a leader and I was wrong. I'm pretty limited in the walleye department, but, being a shore guy, I usually only target them in the shallows during the spring spawn where using a leader would probably yield me no bites. I've never gotten bitten off using 6 lb. line.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.