Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When do you set the hook on a pike? Right away or wait a bit?
Now, being my first time catching a pike last night I was wondering a bit, cause the pike hit the spinnerbait once, then again and thats when I set the hook.

·
Super Moderator
6,307 Posts
Set it when you feel the fish. It is easy to pull at bait away from a pike, just ask Coyote (just kidding bud :wink: ) The nice thing about them is that they usually come back for the bait if they miss it. Sometimes I will feel a bump or two before they actually get a solid hit on the bait. This type of stuff is more prevelant with the smaller snakes. Normally the big daddies will get it on the first try and believe me, there will be no doubt when to set the hook, because you will feel it.

·
Super Moderator
6,307 Posts
For whatever reason, I find in-line spinners to work better on rivers then standard spinnerbaits. A #5 Mepps with coontail hair has been about the only lure I throw for muskies on the Fox with decent success. When it comes to lakes I go with the exact opposite. Might be something to throw in the box when you go out there.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool, thanks guys.. Actually have #5 Mepps coontail in my arsenal, tried it today but all it did was catch leaves. Ill keep practicing though.
Whats weird with the spinnerbait that i used is that after the first pike, it was bent from 45 degree V shaped to a 90 degree L shape. Dont know how that happend. Same thing happend after the 2nd strike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.