Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Usually you can grab the smaller ones behind the gills and they will hold still while you get the hook out. Big ones need to be lipped like a bass. :p

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
toothdoc said:
Usually you can grab the smaller ones behind the gills and they will hold still while you get the hook out. Big ones need to be lipped like a bass. :p
haha :eek:

What if they dont open their mouths. I was having a real hard time with one yesterday.

·
Super Moderator
6,254 Posts
Kilroy, you can buy some jawspreaders for a couple of bucks at BPS that will hold the fishes mouth open while you extract the hooks. Also, Lindy has fish handling gloves that are great for holding pike as well and protect your hand.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Over the winter while icefishing a pike bit onto seans hand while handling the tip up line. He almost pulled it out attached to his bare hand, but the fish let go. Those are some sharp teeth.

·
Administrator
5,364 Posts
Lesson #1 - Pay ZERO attention to my own pike handling pics. Still working on proper handling myself! :shock:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
when i caught my first pike the other day it thrashed in my hand while i was going at it with the needle nose pliers and i got stabbed with the hook a little. Enough to bleed. Totally worth it.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
This way usually works as long as you can get your hands around them. The bigger one here was 32 inches and I was wearing gloves because it was cold.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.