1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Islandfisher said:
Nice pike!

What kind of boat are you guys using? Looks like fun :D
It's a 14ft. Rogue River polyethylene canoe. It's perfect for fishing the backwaters especially when the water is low. It's very stable, which is a plus when your sett'n hooks on pike.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Very nice Indeed!! Thanks for sharing.

It does seem like you rarely see pike of that quality being caught in the river, although I do think up where your fishing there is a decent population...it seems the farther south you go the more sparse they become. I remember reading somewhere that pike populations have been declining in Illinois rivers for many years due to lack of suitable spawning habitat.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
pikemaster said:
It's a 14ft. Rogue River polyethylene canoe. It's perfect for fishing the backwaters especially when the water is low. It's very stable, which is a plus when your sett'n hooks on pike.
Wow, that's awesome, I actually own a red 14ft. Rogue River for a while now. I haven't used it for a while but now I'm thinking that it will be perfect for when the Des Plaines floodes in the spring.

Welcome to the site!

·
Registered
248 Posts
wow those are some nice pike there i honestly thought the fox held little pike yeah them back waters are great there is one on the des plains by me and it is massive its like a huge lake attached to the river im going to fish it when we take my dads friends boat should be good

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
DPRFisherman said:
wow those are some nice pike there i honestly thought the fox held little pike yeah them back waters are great there is one on the des plains by me and it is massive its like a huge lake attached to the river im going to fish it when we take my dads friends boat should be good
Thanks for your comments. Looking forward to hearing your backwater pike reports from the DPR!

·
Registered
248 Posts
no problem man but on the thought of back waters when im sitting around i always think about this well i know a runoff pond on the dpr and it is there due to a massive flood in the 60s or 70s there is still a creek connected to it but the fish cannot escape due to huge rocks everywere blocking the entrance plus the creek is very shallow but not the point my thought was if theres pike carp cats bass blue gill crappie is there walleye or sauger id love to pull one out of there

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
DPRFisherman said:
no problem man but on the thought of back waters when im sitting around i always think about this well i know a runoff pond on the dpr and it is there due to a massive flood in the 60s or 70s there is still a creek connected to it but the fish cannot escape due to huge rocks everywere blocking the entrance plus the creek is very shallow but not the point my thought was if theres pike carp cats bass blue gill crappie is there walleye or sauger id love to pull one out of there
I'm not that familiar with the DPR, but depending on where the creek originates and how much flow it has there could be just about anything in that pond. You might want to get the opinion of someone more familiar with that area. But I say as long as you're catching fish just enjoy it and who knows you might just come up with a walleye or two.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
PikeMaster... There is a really good Backwater in my buddies backyard in Cary, we catch pike there all the time. One day fishing for flatheads by the mouth with big bluegills, I caught a 39" pike and then a 36" pike back to back within a 20 minute period. Both on bluegills on the bottom in 3-4 foot of water by the mouth looking for sunset Flatheads. When I get a hold of my buddy, I will ask him to send me the pics as he still has them. I can PM the pics to you if your interested. You will most likely know the backwater... It's on the east side of the river just south of rt 14. Not too far from 14 at all... It's no secret spot at all as is why I shared it. As my buddy catches them all the time in his own backyard, the neighbors have never seen anything like it... I wish I had that luxury... LOL

Nice Fish Again!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.