Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard great things about the PING A.T. How exactly should you fish it? i tried it from the rocks the other week and i didnt feel like I was running it properly. I tried different reeling speeds, but i don't feel i know what to expect. Is this lure supposed to be slow cranked? How deep is it supposed to go? And when ever it comes anywhere close to shore it goes belly up. I know it is supposed to turn over and go to the surface when you give it a couple quick cranks to turn it over before it goes to the rocks, but i felt like i couldn't keep the bait down during the retrieve. What is the suggested way to retrive this bait? And also, how deep should I expect it to dive. Any tips and suggestions to this bait secrets would be greatly appreciated, I know it is supposed to be a salmon killing machine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
BassMasterErik said:
I have heard great things about the PING A.T. How exactly should you fish it? i tried it from the rocks the other week and i didnt feel like I was running it properly. I tried different reeling speeds, but i don't feel i know what to expect. Is this lure supposed to be slow cranked? How deep is it supposed to go? And when ever it comes anywhere close to shore it goes belly up. I know it is supposed to turn over and go to the surface when you give it a couple quick cranks to turn it over before it goes to the rocks, but i felt like i couldn't keep the bait down during the retrieve. What is the suggested way to retrive this bait? And also, how deep should I expect it to dive. Any tips and suggestions to this bait secrets would be greatly appreciated, I know it is supposed to be a salmon killing machine.
Slow Slow Slow dives inbetween 9-12ft and tie directly to the swivel it comes with swims the best action that way

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
BassMasterErik said:
I know it is supposed to be a salmon killing machine.
Only if you have the original Ping-T which is impossible to find. My buddy Cory "The Ping-T Master" has them and just got 50 more from the granddaughter of the original maker. I be trying to get some off him but he wont budge. Soon or later i will :D. Salmonhunter you know who i am talking about. :wink: You'll see him on the South Rocks alot and will know who he is becasue he will be the only one catching Kings while no else is. The guys is god when it comes to salmon fishing off the shores of LM.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Damn straight on that i fished next to him last year within 6 ft killin the kings while i got [email protected]#$ But i managed to find a few but thats it they are so far behind nobody has them you buddies bait shop out your way Larry was supposed to get some but every week he's supposed to get them he says won't be for another week or 2

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Salmonhunter said:
Damn straight on that i fished next to him last year within 6 ft killin the kings while i got [email protected]#$ But i managed to find a few but thats it they are so far behind nobody has them you buddies bait shop out your way Larry was supposed to get some but every week he's supposed to get them he says won't be for another week or 2
Ya he told me the same thing. The MFR screwed up on the moles for Ping-T bodies which could explain BassMasterErik Ping-t coming up to the surface all funny. The bait shouldnt be rolling upside down like that.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I bought one from lees and I think it may be a defective one. I fished it in the dark so I didnt get the best looks at its action, but It seemed to run shallow. I gotta test it out in the light and return it to the manufacturer if it is a bad one.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ya i got the green glow PING A.T. from lee's. it seemed funny. now i take it the one from lees is a shady knock-off? is that right? is the PING T different from the PING A.T.? if so how can i find the right one?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
the manufacturer had a problem with the plastic supplier (wrong plastic) and thats why lees hasnt gotten any recently. I think if they dont run right then they were probably made of the wrong plastic.

·
Registered
20 Posts
They are no better than any other crank...You place a toothbrush in the hands of a true artist and he could still paint a masterpiece...

If you are buying into the pingpong a-t hype good luck to you...Same people that fish with chartreuse spawn bags when fish are more than happy to strike artificials.

Use your ping a t's...You will have the same poor results that you did on everything else that you have attempted thus far.

It's the trechnique not the lure.....Nuff said.

·
Registered
453 Posts
perchonthis said:
They are no better than any other crank...You place a toothbrush in the hands of a true artist and he could still paint a masterpiece...

If you are buying into the pingpong a-t hype good luck to you...Same people that fish with chartreuse spawn bags when fish are more than happy to strike artificials.

Use your ping a t's...You will have the same poor results that you did on everything else that you have attempted thus far.

Hey, it's Clark. :lol: What's up man. Haven't been fishing with you guys since like perch season.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yeah Andy,...I have to stop out and be the voice of reason....Ping a t's???...It's laughable what people will buy in to.

I imagine thay my cohorts and I could outproduce the results of a ping a t by simply casting a shad rap....When you place almost any lure within the hand of the master...salmon will be sure to soon follow.

I have enjoyed the posts from the experts....Catch one 20 lb salmon trolling...Catch salmon on spawn...Which in a certain way are almost identical...Doing whatever you can to remove the fisherman from the equation. Take the easiest route possible to catch a fish.

Kids, you can take this to the bank. If you never caught fish on other cranks then Pingamagees are not the answer.

I heard that there is a sale going on at Nevada Bob's(courtesy of plunc)....Maybe it's time for some of you to consider a change of hobbies.

Too many of you expect to find your salvation to catching fish to magically appear from the posts of a website in lieu of going down to the lake and putting in the work required to learn and hone your skills.

My heart weeps for the future...

·
Registered
144 Posts
washhusky101 said:
When i seen perchonthis i had to do a double take. There goes the hood for sure. Welcome aboard Clark, your the last spice we were looking for :wink:
Now All We Need Is SuperFluke Here to Zest It Up A Bit.Has Anyone Seen Or Heard From Him? Welcome Aboard Perch On This.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
perchonthis said:

Clark, no one is lookin for a magic lure to base their season around. most anglers like me are always looking for another crank to add to the arsenal. Of course you gotta throw spoons when they want spoons, or spawn when their looking for spawn(if you are a spawn fisherman). I already have several cranks that are my confidence cranks when used properly and conditions are good for cranks, but when you hear good things about a bait you gota try one and see if u can use it when the situation calls for it.

This is the technique all anglers use so they can expand their abilities, and apply the right strategy to the right situation.
My Favorite thing about fishing is when you try a new tactic and it pays off. It's like solving a puzzle. Catching fish is a ton of fun, but way funner when the odds are against you and you pull out a brand new tactic that brings success. Easy fishing is usually boring fishing. Bass in a stocked pond are entertaining for about and hour and can be huge, but it is not nealy as exciting as catching em on a huge lake with a new tactic when conditions are against you.

Nice smart ass remarks though, u definitly add spice to the forums. :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.