Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone is using the pink SpiderWire or red mono from Berkley. It's a long story, but that is what was put on my spools, it was free, and beggars can't be choosers. Any info? Like/dislike? I have 10 reels with this stuff now. I have always thought colors to be nothing more than gimmick and that it doesn't matter; what do you have to say?

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I never used it, but you can always use a Mono or FloroCarbon Leader/Tippet.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I know they have done tests, as far as the depth that the color disappears, but for me, Average Joe, I like using the algae green color. It matches most of the waters that I fish in, so to me, it makes sense. :shrug:

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
I've not used the pink Spiderwire, but use the Berkley Red XT mono for walleye in the rivers. I like it for its abrasion resistance and stretch.

Only got the red because that's what was available at the store I went to- I use 18-30" flouro leaders too, so mainline color is not that big of a deal to me. The red sure is purty in the sunlight though! :D

I used moss green Spiderwire this summer, and my catch rate seemed to diminish dramatically, to almost nill. :?:

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
.Steve said:
I know they have done tests, as far as the depth that the color disappears, but for me, Average Joe, I like using the algae green color.
Actually they have done testing that proved the red color theory is not true. Yes, the color red disappears first as you go down deeper, but the color of the line just turns dark and appears like it is black. So don't buy into the red disappears theory. It is not right. If you truly want an invisible line then fluorocarbon is the way to go. It has the same refractive index of light in water.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Thats interesting Doc. I was wondering how that might translate to red lures. Many lures, including deep diving cranks, have small red accents on them. I guess the fish must not be able to tell the red from black after a certain depth?

I used to try and match the water color and what not, but now I just use what looks cool and is cheap. Trilene XL electric blue.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Karen,

I don't think anyone really knows. There are fishermen that do very well in clear water with braid who'll say line color makes no difference. Others say that FC is the way to go with monofilaments somewhere in between. I use FC on all my plastics and jigs and mono for all topwater, crankbaits, and jerkbaits. I'm going to mess around with braid next year on a couple spare spools to see how I like it versus the FC. Now that I think of it, that pink sure would match my new Team Daiwa reel with the red accents. Might have to think about that! :lol:

Tell us what you think about the line. Good fishing.

·
Super Moderator
6,276 Posts
I am starting to learn that when in doubt, use a fluro leader. A spool of Gamma or P-line is relativly cheap, and more then likely the line will start to dryrot well before you ever finish making leaders out of a regular spool.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I never bothered with leaders before, but I guess I'll start. I have a friend in the business so I take whatever he is willing to give me. Like I said before; beggars can't be choosers. I have used a lot of Spider Wire and I can tell you that the only knot that you should use with it is the Palomar. Others can slip out and then you lose the lure too! I learned this from my friend at the mfg so I trust the tip. I'll let you know the reds and pinks work soon.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Matt,
Do you use a flouro leader at Delavan and Geneva?

Fishdoc,
What type of copolymar do you use and for what apps? Why do you use it over other types of lines? Just curious.

Good fishing.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Just a recent observation from up North. I was trolling for pike and using braided with not so great results. Went to P-line FC 10# and started getting strikes. Same with casting. Switched back and got skunked again. Switched back to FC and strikes. I've always flip flopped on line, but am pretty confident I will stay with FC and use leaders if needed for pike. Really, unless your FishinMatt and going after trophies a leader isn't really needed IMHO. As far as colors, don't think that makes any positive difference.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I like Gamma copolymer. My understanding is that it has some of the properties of mono and some of the properties of fluoro. Basically, I look at it as expensive mono. It is worth it. Stronger than comparable sized mono any day.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
toothdoc said:
Actually they have done testing that proved the red color theory is not true. Yes, the color red disappears first as you go down deeper, but the color of the line just turns dark and appears like it is black. So don't buy into the red disappears theory. It is not right. If you truly want an invisible line then fluorocarbon is the way to go. It has the same refractive index of light in water.
Ha! I knew it! doc if you could can you pm me the link to that study?

I have never been a fan of red line..hooks..and especially lure eyes=)

Since I almost never fish gin clear water...powerpro in moss green tied to the lure or a snap has worked pretty well for me for 8+ years FWIW.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Darth, I don't know where I read that. Can't remember if it was on the net or in one of the fishing mags. But I do know that it was an actual article and not just somebody stating their opinion.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
I read an article similar to to what you are saying Doc, But it had to do with Bass and Sight of colorations. There was a chart and a big article. It bought the magazine for like 9.00 bucks at the airport :oops: . Worst of all. I fell asleep on the plane and left it on the airplane! :x . I wish I would have never forgotten it. I was too busy worry about Racing. :roll:

But For bass I am a believer that red is almost Invisible to the Naked eye. But what about other species of fish ;)

Dave

In the article it did mention something of it turning black I believe as the clarity and the deeper you go.

It was In-Fisherman back in January as I believe or Febuary of 08

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I am firm believer, and have proved it to myself endlessly, that color doesn't matter in line or lures.

Put something that looks edible close enough to a fish so they don't have to move more than a couple of inches to eat it and they will.

Now substitute "fish" with "sportsfan watching a game on television" and you get the same result.

Goes to show just how much we've actually evolved.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Now that is flippin funny! And so true....

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.