Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever fish this pay pond? Brother coming into town this weekend from the bigger pond, the Atlantic and wants to get in some freshwater fishing with some guaranteed action. So, surfed the net and found this place about 25 minutes out of the city. Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this. :?

Much obliged

Al

·
Administrator
5,357 Posts
If it's the same place a friend told me about, it's supposed to be a trout fishing thing. Much like many trout pay-per-catch places, it's pretty much just putting the bait in the pond and waiting for a trout to catch it. Most people get a couple of fish and then are done.

This may not be the place you are talking about, but it's the only one i've heard of in that area.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Bassman For Life said:
Just like the old Dude Ranch I miss that place.....LOL
Dude Ranch...remember those kids they hired as spies to look out for people trying to steal fish? lol good times

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
krnfishboy7786 said:
lol, is that the one on Golf Rd?
Yes, the Dude Ranch used to be on Golf Road just east of the tollway. I never fished there. I wonder what happened to the little ponds that used to be there before they developed that land?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Doc...the ponds are still there. Supposedly, some company bought out the land and they are making condos there I think. I've fished the ponds before they put the no trespassings signs up...bunch of dink gills, bass, and some huge carp.

·
Registered
453 Posts
toothdoc said:
I thought that they used to have trout in there too?
There was. There were 2 ponds...they were both pay ponds. One was a trout pond and I think the other one had catfish. I think they filled up one of the ponds, because all I saw was the 1 bigger pond. The trout probably wouldn't be able to survive after all of these years and even if they did, they are most likely fished out.

·
Registered
358 Posts
i live right by the old dude ranch i use to fish there about 5 years ago and catch big bass, but now i go in there and look around and the water looks nice, but theres hardly any fish...but i went to a fishing derby at the plainfield fishing resort, we caught about a 20 inch flathead catfish on a night crawler but people around us were catching them also

·
Super Moderator
6,093 Posts
You gotta pay to play. Not that bad off an option considering how tough fishing is this time of year at other places. Just be careful, becuas they will screw you with the prices of the fish you take home. I would advise you just to take a couple :wink:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ugh--

So we went out to Plainfield, paid our 40 bones. 9 each for me and my buddy to fish. An Additional 21 for a boat with a really underpowered trolling motor. Fished from 8-12 with slip bobbers and power bait. The Park shop said they had stocked 500 pounds of trout the previous friday. Nothing. Set at different depths, used different baits--bits of night crawler, lil 1/4 yellow gitzit spinner, power bait, and it was an out and out skunk. Couldn't even raise a blue gill. Even shore fishers weren't catching anything. Pretty disappointed.

Al

·
Registered
87 Posts
It stinks getting the old skunk at a pay lake. Last year I told the wife to clear out the freezer (luckily she's too skeptical to do so) because I was gonna bring home a mess of catfish from a pay lake in Indiana that my uncle brought home 2 full stringers from. I wound up bringing home one 15" channel and a real small flathead. We did have catfish nuggets for an appetizer though :oops:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts