Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
3,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my quest to up my catfishing game I am going to try dragging baits with planer boards.

After watching numerous videos and checking online sites I decided to try my hand at making a pair of boards. These are pretty crude but maybe they might work. Definitely not pretty. I basically garbage picked all the components. Actual board is made from a washing machine lid. Foam is one inch insulation that I found on the side of the road. I bought the release clips on Amazon. That was $18. I used threaded rod and nuts and washers that I already had and a couple of snap swivels which I already had as well.

No clue if they will track correctly or if they will even work. I’ll give them a try next week when it warms back up.

~JOE~
Wood Orange Amber Yellow Gas

· Registered
792 Posts
I was actually going to try and make some too .but my plan was to use anchored. So like bobber's that go off to the side. I wish we had blue's up here to fish for. Your boards look great 👍

· Registered
3,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My thoughts exactly. They aren’t really heavy. I could always add more foam if needed. Videos I watched some use sheet aluminum and other plastic

I stripped off the orange paint. It wasn’t bonding at all. So now the board is white (old washing machine cover) and the foam is pink.

~JOE~

· Registered
792 Posts
Did you see this one

· Registered
3,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update on the boards. Didn’t realize I used water based paint so I washed it all off and they are back to au naturale.
Took the boat out today on an exploratory mission. Trailered her to Falls Lake which is half as far as the lake I catfish at in VA. Falls isn’t known for cats but I wanted to check it out and give the boards a try. They worked fine. Experimented with the line clip and releasing the line with a quick tug. Worked good. No cats but I wasn’t expecting any. I will head back there this spring and summer. There are big bass in that lake. MLF fished it twice so far and those guys yanked some decent bass out.

Plan on heading back out tomorrow and Friday for cats in VA.

~JOE~

· Super Moderator
6,318 Posts
Far out idea Joe. Planers are something I have never really dialed in. I'll try them awhile, get fed up with all the work it takes to work them solo, then flatline troll and catch fish. A yearly tradition for me. I hope your pursuit goes better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts