Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know if I am posting in the right section but does anyone know of a good brand of polarized sunglasses? Any experiences with any? Im looking to purchase some and wanna know which are the best :p

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
there are many brands that are polarized. you can get a decent pair for around $10 -$20 at walmart or dick's. for name brand, you'll have to spend over $50 for a pair and even over $100 for brands like rayban or oakleys.

be aware of the cheap stuff on the cheap sunglass racks. they are not true polarized, they are only spray coated. anything under $10 is usually coated.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I hear Maui Jim is the best, but i have a $50 pair from Smith that are great too. The test is if you look at the back window of most cars, some glasses make the window look weird(polarized) and some do not(not polarized). Not sure the cause of this. :?

·
Administrator
5,361 Posts
It's also a good idea to have a couple pair of sunglasses. Darker ones for the brighter and some light ones, especially with the amber lenses for low light situations. Having them on all the time when fishing really helps.

·
Registered
593 Posts
JasonN said:
It's also a good idea to have a couple pair of sunglasses. Darker ones for the brighter and some light ones, especially with the amber lenses for low light situations. Having them on all the time when fishing really helps.
ditto.

Amber for overcast, it seems to sharpen the available light.
Too dark doesn't help either.
I wind up lifting them to tie small knots.

·
Registered
218 Posts
If you take two identical pairs of polarized sunglasses and hold them up together so that you can see through both lenses, if you rotate one set of the lenses 90 degrees the lenses won't permit light to pass through. They go black.

Just a quick way to test the validity of having polarized glass.

·
Registered
593 Posts
horn13 said:
If you take two identical pairs of polarized sunglasses and hold them up together so that you can see through both lenses, if you rotate one set of the lenses 90 degrees the lenses won't permit light to pass through. They go black.

Just a quick way to test the validity of having polarized glass.
Thats right, best way to determine 100% polarized is rotate 90 degrees.
The polarization is basically bars like a window shade.
Crossing the polars "should" eliminate the light.

Some might let light through that means the polarization is not complete.

I've tried some that only dim the light but say they are polarized.

Manufacturers despise educated shoppers.
Its buyer beware.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I have to agree with Toothdoc on the Costa Del Mars! I've had mine for eight years and it's still in good shape. I put some serious time with them when I used to fish the ocean more. Very heavy duty and good quality.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.