Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well since the weekend was a total wash.....(pun intended) I have been jonesin' to get out on the water. I wasn't too excited about the potential skunking to be had but I needed to cast a few times just to say I got on the water.
I have a couple of ponds that I've been frequenting lately between rainpours and these ponds have some drainage pipes that flow with the runoff during/after these rains.

Run off= tasty morsels for bass.

So as the rain broke this afternoon and the clouds went away for a bit I went on over to said drainage pipes. The water was way up with alot of gills swimming in the newly expanded shoreline....always something to keep in mind. Where there's baitfish there's bass.

I would just cast along the shoreline and run it thru the areas with baitfish and managed a couple of smaller bass picking up on an easy meal. I headed on over to the drainage pipe and picked up a couple more including this guy:

Worked my way around the pond and caught a couple more, mostly dinks.
On my way back to the car I hit the same drain pipe and managed 2 more bass, one a bit bigger then the one in the pic. By that time I was sweating like nobody's business and thought I would spare you all the pic.

Anyway....with very little expectations I surpassed what was thought to be an unproductive evening. Don't overlook the areas where water is rushing in due to excessive rains. These may be the most promising areas in lakes, rivers, ponds when the fishing is "disturbed" by inconsistent weather.

With the forecast ahead of us I'm moving on to the next drain pipe. See ya on the water!

JB :D

·
Registered
382 Posts
JB said:
Run off= tasty morsels for bass...

Where there's baitfish there's bass.

JB :D
Agreed. I seem to have better luck right after a good rain and water levels are up. It seems like all the fish are out looking for a tasty treat.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Funny how things turn around... I went back out there today and had a hard time finding the fish. The algae that blooms on the surface had relocated to the mouths of the drain pipes creating limited accessibility. The humidity might have put an additional damper on things...after working hard for them I managed 3 small dink bass. I was using as before...a 4" zoom dead ringer on a 3/16 weighted jig head.

Maybe tomorrow...or a different pond tomorrow...or....I'll figure something out.
Thanks for the replies!

JB

·
Registered
204 Posts
Those drain pipes are a excellent spot even during a med to light rain if thers a steady current . I never moved from my spot that sun on l. arlington . lol. nice report. :)

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Andrew-

I gotta get out the door here in a moment but thought I'd drop a quick response. I would no doubt be hitting the ponds. Primarily those used for runoff. I actually went out yesterday evening after work and managed a good number of largemouth just tossing it in the flow of these pipes. Living in such an urban area there are very few ponds that do not have some sort of runoff. Ya just gotta find the ones that have a decent population of bass so that the chances of slaying a few is increased. Clarity has something to do with it too. The water rushing in might be a bit clearer then the water in the pond which increases the chance of the fish zoning in on the offering. If both the flow and the pond are a turbid mess....chances decrease.

I have alot of fun with this approach while waiting on other areas to regroup.

JB

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.