Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a nice cat (gulp crawler) and a decent lmb (15" on a crawler) at the new pond last night. Out for about 2hrs. Lost another beast using a chatterbait, just kept pulling drag, I pretty sure it was a big cat. I would like to call it a fight but all I basically could do was hold on. :shock: Must hone big fish skillz. :wink:

I have noticed that most of the fish I lose are lost on the baitcaster setup. I wonder what I am doing wrong. Is there anything different that I am supposed to do?

·
Super Moderator
6,286 Posts
I really don't think so. You obviously have more experience with a spinning rod so that would give you a little edge with them, but it is probably just some bad luck. Sometimes they just find a way to get unbuttoned.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea, I hear ya on the chatterbait, but I have lost a ton of fish trolling using a crawler harness, cranks, chatterbait and spinnerbaits this year all on the baitcaster. Its making me insane considering I would have alot of beeg feeshies this year. I have never lost so many fish before.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
could be the drag setting on ur reel
cheaper reels have shitty drag systems that often fail
or u just might need the set the hook just 1 more time to make sure.

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
WHAT TYPE OF LINE ARE YOU USING.. ?

AND COULD BE THE HOOKSETS...

TRY TO EVALUATE WHAT YOU DO....

YOU MAY FIND SOMEHTING..

I HAD SOMEWHAT THE SAME PROBLEM LAST YEAR.

FOUND IT WAS ALL IN MY HOOK SETS

GEORGE

:D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.