Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I finally found a new boat last night, but I do not know much about boats in general so some advice from WCF would be great.

The boat I am looking at is a 14ft jon boat extra wide. Comes with a trailer with new wiring.

2 new seats on the boat, fire ext, 2 oars, wired for running lights. 15hp Eska engine which he did start and it runs good and strong. Hes throwing in like 5 more motors, all of which he doesn't know if they run or not. One of them looks exactly like one BassCaster has. Only flaw I see with the boat is it has a few small rivet holes in it. Im pretty sure those could be fixed. Was told theres no leaks on the boat at all.

Think its worth 900? Anything else I should look at? Pretty much looked at it from top to bottom, and he does have the registration.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
It seems like a good deal to me Danno. Little leaks on aluminum boats are super easy to fix.

Depending on what motors you get with it I may be able to take one or two off your hands, to help defray the cost for you. :) Keep me in mind.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sounds good to me Danno, and anyways if you do get a boat we can hit the other side of the creek by my house. ya, think of that.

I would say it would be nice for the damn also... but nooooo they have to come out with a new law.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hear ya justin! We could finally get out somewhere decent. The rivet holes were very small im sure some jb weld or something would fix them up. Im just a noob when it comes to boats. Only thing I wish it had was a trolling motor.

I would most likely sell the motors cheap just to get rid of them and help defray the cost of getting a trolling motor.

I know he would stand behind the boat and be willing to help fix anything that came up. Heck, when I mentioned about not having much room to store it he said to just leave it there and come and get it when i need it. On a farm so he has plenty of room.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Sounds good man, Not to mention im sure my parents wouldnt mind letting you keep it at my place. And jimmy has 3 motors but no batteries im sure he would most likly sell one somwhat cheap.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Your application for registration is your permit to use for 90 days, by which thime the state should have your sticker and registration...maybe. But they sometimes take much longer. Also need to get your trailer plate. Be sure to either get the title for both, or at the very least a signed receipt with the previous owners name, address, and I would recommend the prior plate number at the very least. The state can be difficult with titling boats and trailers without a prior title or a commercial receipt of sale. At least this is what my experience has shown...but it sounds like it could be a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
If the boat is currently registered and you have the sticker and registration card you should be fine. Like topwater said there is a grace period. Dont forget your life jackets, fire extinguisher, battery cover and whistle!

And for the trailer, I would recomend going to a dmv to get it done. I have heard horror stories about online trailer plate applications for ones with no title. Sean went into a dmv with nothing and came out with a title and a plate for a homemade trailer no problem.

·
Registered
953 Posts
twoglasseyes said:
Depending on what motors you get with it I may be able to take one or two off your hands, to help defray the cost for you. :) Keep me in mind.
I might be willing to help out as well depending on the condition and cost. 8)

·
Registered
472 Posts
Small holes are easy to fix. Buy the proper size rivet , apply a marine grade of silicone under the head of the rivet, place a hammer head against the rivet head and with another hammer pound the back side of the rivet flat. If any old rivets leak you can seal the with silicone and beat them with a hammer they same way you set new rivets.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.