Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been driving down rt 120 in lakemoor everyday for a while now, and kept noticing this little side road, going down into a "canyon", probably a old quarry pit. Finally drove down to check it out and there were 2 nice looking lakes down there, water was CRYSTAL CLEAR! Saw some fish swiming around it, looked like a promising lake for some bass. All that was down there was some Old construction equipment and didn't look like the area had been used for quite some time. Great place to try out the 4x4 to.
Anybody have any info on the old quarry pit? Right off rt 120, just west of lilly lake road, in lakemoor il. If anybody knows who owns it, id love to give em a call and see if I can drop a quick line in.
[url=http://maps.google.com/maps?s...ps.google.com/maps?source=ig&h ... a=N&tab=wl

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yup. I know that lake well! I used to fish it a lot as a child in the late 80s and early 90.s Once I learned to drive I think I about spent my 16th summer out there. Parking is probably a problem, because it turned into one. Where we were once able to park signs of "no parking" were put in, as were signs of "no trespassing". The cops had given out tickets to those who continued to go int here. A lot of people fished, a lot of kids used to jump off the rigs into the water, people used to drive there ATVs through the sand hills. I dunno what happened but all of a sudden they closed it down to the general public. I was told it would be turned into a forest preserve lake...and I've been waiting for that day because I know there are big bass in there.
There were lakes in the back of that main lake. Actually they were little ponds but they had a lot of weeds and cover. They were excellent bass lakes. It looks like from this satellite picture that those have been drained.

The main "lake" is extremly deep. We used to fish on a rig that was partially on the shore and about 50 feet into the water. I remember catching probably 40-50 stripped bass off that during the right time of the year.

I hope I'm not giving out too much info on someone's secret hole here. But there is NO way all the guys on this board could clean that lake out. :wink:

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks PK, I didnt think anybody would know about those ponds. Thank, goodness i actually posted.

Theres still a few smaller ponds there and your right they do have some good cover. Kind of wierd gates have been open for a few weeks now, they used to keep them locked.

I know its in Lakemoor, so I was thinking about asking one of the cops if I could try it out. Sometimes they sit right there and setup a speed trap.
Not my secret hole yet, I want to find out if I even can try it out. I dont think my wife would bail me out for fishing on private property.
I think its to far for most of WCF to go fishing at..
at least i hope so. :)

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'd be really interested to know what happens if the cops let you fish. Maybe it has turned to public property and they are going to do something with it. It would be a shame to see that turn into a subdivision.

We used to fish it when the gates were locked and park our cars on top of that main driveway all night and the cops never said a thing. We were never allowed to drive our cars beyond the gates.

I think someone got hurt out there or too many kids were hanging around and the owners of the quarry were starting to get worried about a lawsuit.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I have actually heard of those lakes before on other sites and from other people.. I fish a bit at Defiance Lake in Moraine Hills State Park and when I was younger I used to fish in Wilderness Lake and Tomahawk Lake which were at the back end of the park. I remember seeing these lakes and hearing things about how you couldn't get in there and that it was trespassing if you did. This was a while back so I don't know if that changed, but I do remember hearing about some nice fish out of these ponds for those who actually got in and out without getting in trouble. In fact, I heard that someone pulled a 25.5" bass out of Defiance Lake (and released it back) a couple of weeks ago so it's a hotbed area for big bass maybe???

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Youd think being so close to Defiance and the fact they really havent been fished in a while there would be some lunkers. There was plenty of baitfish from what i saw so the forage is there.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Sometimes I see trucks going in and coming out of that place :?

Y dont u go a mile further east on 120 and give lily lake a try ,the signs on lily say catch and release bass fishing only :)

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
ClancyWiggum said:
I have actually heard of those lakes before on other sites and from other people.. I fish a bit at Defiance Lake in Moraine Hills State Park and when I was younger I used to fish in Wilderness Lake and Tomahawk Lake which were at the back end of the park. I remember seeing these lakes and hearing things about how you couldn't get in there and that it was trespassing if you did. This was a while back so I don't know if that changed, but I do remember hearing about some nice fish out of these ponds for those who actually got in and out without getting in trouble. In fact, I heard that someone pulled a 25.5" bass out of Defiance Lake (and released it back) a couple of weeks ago so it's a hotbed area for big bass maybe???
I have fished Wilderness and Tomhawk with my dad a long time ago I would say 20+ years ago. Wilderness has alot of timber and very clear water which you can see all the way to the bottom. As for Tomhawk all I can say BIG BIG Bass and alot of weeds. We fished with those swiminng worms that have three hooks and leader.built into them. If I remeber the only way to get to Tomhawk was to travel by boat across Wilderness Lake. We had a rubber plastic boat. I was like 10 years old back then. Till this day i am still trying to get my dad to remeber where is was located but google map has done the job. Might have to check it out one day.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Just so you know both Wilderness Lake and Tomahawk Lake are gone now. They are completely dried up. I guess they used to get their water through the quarry, but once they stopped work at the quarry the water went away. It's sad, because I liked those lakes and now they are gone.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Allright, stopped by there again. Put the jeep through its paces and wandered around there a bit. Theres definatly some bass in there, the forage looks good.
Id love to try it out, but dont want to risk the ticket. Unless WCF has a bail bond card, or a pool of $$$ to bail us out.
:)
Anyways, next lakemoor cop i see ill bug em. See if I can at least try it out.

Oh, I tried lily lake, its just to darn shallow to fish from shore. Its only 2ft or less deep about 20ft out. Choked with lily pads to. Should have a boat this weekend, so I might give it a shot.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
ClancyWiggum said:
Just so you know both Wilderness Lake and Tomahawk Lake are gone now. They are completely dried up. I guess they used to get their water through the quarry, but once they stopped work at the quarry the water went away. It's sad, because I liked those lakes and now they are gone.
Fitilsticks :cry: There were some good Bass fishing there. I wonder what did with fish there?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Danno said:
Allright, stopped by there again. Put the jeep through its paces and wandered around there a bit. Theres definatly some bass in there, the forage looks good.
Id love to try it out, but dont want to risk the ticket. Unless WCF has a bail bond card, or a pool of $$$ to bail us out.
:)
Anyways, next lakemoor cop i see ill bug em. See if I can at least try it out.

Oh, I tried lily lake, its just to darn shallow to fish from shore. Its only 2ft or less deep about 20ft out. Choked with lily pads to. Should have a boat this weekend, so I might give it a shot.
Choked Lilly pads I would try it out by tossing frogs. There is a pond right by the new Cabela's in Hoffman Est that is choked with lilly pads and the max depht is 5ft in one little area but most of the 1 acrer pond is 2-3ft deep and it's one of the best fishing ponds for Bass I have ever fished.
Caught my biggest Bass of my life 24" 7.4lbs.

If I was you I would definitely hit in Spring.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.