Chicago Fishing Forum banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,086 Posts
joetrain said:
oldsalt said:
Were Fucked.I am just going to fish until I die,leave the planet's problem to the young people By the way good topwater bite below Algonquoin Dam,on Zara Spooks.
This^^^^^
X2.

Rambler, the people in charge don't give a fuck about the environment, or you and I. Democrats and Republicans. It is all about money, power, and greed.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
FishinMatt said:
Rambler, the people in charge don't give a fuck about the environment, or you and I. Democrats and Republicans. It is all about money, power, and greed.
Matt: Wow - and here I thought I was a cynic.

Let me explain: By "People in charge of our planet" I'm not talking about politicians. The people who run our planet are in the private sector. And I'm not suggesting they give a shit about you, me or anyone else. But they do care about being able to sell us shit. If we're all dead we can't buy anything. That's why so much money is being invested in technologies that will preserve the planet and their ability to sell shit.

Ford, GM, etc. aren't investing millions into EVs and whatever comes next because they suddenly turned altruistic. And the money pouring into fusion research is for the same reason. It will be interesting to see how energy is priced when it becomes REALLY cheap to make.

Years ago I was visiting good friends who live a sort of alternative lifestyle in rural MN. They were having an argument over whether to have a dishwasher they were given installed. The wife was for it, my buddy was against. I asked him why he didn't want to have a dishwasher. He said it was because it used electricity & was bad for the environment.

I laughed & told him he was nuts. That the day after the earth runs out of coal, oil, gas, etc. Exxon & others will say, "Oh, we forgot to tell you about this - it's a box you put in your basement. You put water in the tank & electricity comes out the other side. You can lease it from us for $$$$ per year. Want one?"

Might be a bit simplistic but it's likely something like that scenario will play out. And a lot better than lying down & waiting for the world to bake - don't you think?

·
Registered
446 Posts
Rambler said:
If / when they crack the fusion nut it will be a game changer. Read somewhere an inch of water off San Francisco Bay would power the US for 50 years.
You don't even need fusion all that much - a bit more efficiency from solar would do it.

As to the electricity - it won't get cheap. There's something like $100B in fuel taxes collected annually. That's about $300 for every man, woman, or person who does not identify as either. It's more than our annual electricity bill, and comparable to what we spend on gas. Expect that to be replaced with higher electricity taxes.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
This has gone sort of far off the original trailer tax thing hasn't it?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Naw,not at all,were still talking about a bunch of carps sucking our hard earned money out of our pockets.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Well my feelings are you get what you Vote for and this State is pretty much controlled by Chicago and Springfield

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
IMO, electric vehicles have their place, which is probably more urban based. Unfortunately, the range is a limiting factor in my opinion. Granted, with the new F150, they claim a 300 mile range with the extended battery option... which would get me close to the Northwoods where I fish- but then 12 hours charge time for a full tank again. As opposed to a fossil burner for 15 minutes at a fuel stop and I'm back in action for another 300+ miles right away. I do think it's cool you can draw power from the truck to your house in a disaster to keep things powered up and running.

I looked in to an electric motorcycle a few years ago, but again, the limited range vs. charge time was a discouragement to me. And to Aux's comment, I have not seen a charging station anywhere around out in DeKalb/Sycamore area. Again, maybe more of an urban thing?

Rambler- I hope your solar venture works out. We had our house assessed and they told us it was a no go. Baffles me as our roof is a low 4:12 pitch which faces East/West, little to no tree cover and bakes in the sun all day long Oh well, I tired at least.

·
Registered
7,718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Rambler said:
Aux Pleins said:
Which brings me back to my point, I wouldn't get an electric car to save the environment. I would get it to stop burning money.
Yep. In fact, I'm getting a quote on Tuesday for solar on my house (or garage). The house is in a perfect location - south-facing roofs get sun almost all day. I figure if it's even close to the same I'm paying ComEd (amortized) I'm doing it. I get 28% of the cost off my next income tax bill - that ain't chump change.

If everyone who can would go solar it would help a lot and to your point, save them a shit-load of money.

Salt - ITER may be our salvation. And for climate change doubters and "follow the money" there's got to be a reason why so much of it is being poured into fusion research. The people in charge of our planet know that if things don't change the jig is up.
My mother went full send on the solar. Stuff is all over her roof. I just wonder how do you replace the shingles now? :shock:

Other than that, I really don't know the details on how much money she's saving.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
I'm concerned about shingles too. That's why I'm leaning toward putting the panels on the garage roof. We have a neighbor who did this.

BTW - it looks like you can finance it so that it's pretty much a wash cost-wise between solar & paying ComEd.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
When we looked in to it, they recommended if the shingles were at half life or more, to re-shingle prior to installation. Supposedly the solar panels have a 40 year life span, so the freshest roof is best to start with. Then you don't have to pay to move them and re-shingle anytime soon after initial install.

I roofed our house about 20 years ago and it's getting to the end of its service life. Next roof we get, will be metal... and I'm having it done by someone.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Rambler said:
I'm concerned about shingles too.
American roofs is one thing I haven't quite figured out yet. Where I come from roofs on single houses are done from either metal, or ceramic tiles of some sort. They all last decades. My grandfather's summer house was done with fiber/cement sheets some 50 years ago, his next door neighbor who built at the same time has painted galvanized steel - that needs to be repainted occasionally, but it's still the original roof. So, a new roof every 25 years sounds like a scam to me.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
What he said...

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Sunrun (the vendor we signed with) has a 20 year lease deal. No out-of-pocket cost. No tax benefit either but I don't care. Panels are warrantied for 25 years. If I have to replace the roof they remove the panels, we replace the roof, they replace the panels. Cost for roof is on us, cost of removing/replacing panels is on them.

Savings-wise it's close to a wash - we'll save a bit. But we're not doing it to save $$$$. More concerned about the world we're leaving to our granddaughters. If everyone went solar we'd cut pollution a shit load (that's a tech term). :D

BTW - Fat f'ing chance I'll be around to see the end of the lease.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Rambler said:
More concerned about the world we're leaving to our granddaughters. If everyone went solar we'd cut pollution a shit load (that's a tech term).
In the meanwhile the Chinese are polluting like there's no tomorrow, and every populated place in Africa looks like a garbage dump.

41 - 57 of 57 Posts