Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hit the river in the Potawatomi preserve for about half an hour in the afternoon. I threw a spinner, both top and sinking crankbaits and a spoon but no action whatsoever. What's a good bait/presentation to use this time of the year for pikes?

I drove by Lake Potawatomi when leaving and saw about 5 bucketheads. If that's the trend, that little lake will soon have nothing in it, if not already.

·
Registered
513 Posts
There are always bucketheads at that lake, always. When the summer months come it is near impossible to fish there due to battling the bucketheads and the insane weedline.

·
Registered
748 Posts
If that is the lake i think i use to go their to get my bait,it had wild golden roaches like 10in long.caoght them on plastics.and small green sunfish,and small bullheads,used the bait for my limb lines and trot lines,that was a long time ago,a bass would not go hungry in that lake

·
Registered
959 Posts
babyduke said:
ClancyWiggum said:
Yeah, that's too bad. I have heard that the lake holds some monster bass.
When was this? I highly doubt it now.
A couple of years ago. I am sure they are still there, but they are probably holding out in the middle of the lake so you can't get them. In a small lake like that with so much fishing pressure the bass learn quickly where to hide.

·
Administrator
5,370 Posts
I checked out that area for the first time this weekend. Never knew that little pond was in there. However, a friend and her son have reported to me LOTS of pike in the DPR along that stretch.

·
Registered
122 Posts
You are right on the money about the pike in the area. Bridges around this area can be absolute gold mines, as they are deeper than bridges south. The bridges offer plenty of structure because floating timber tends to get stuck in these deeper areas when the water levels come down from the usual spring flooding and there tends to be plent of rip rap, bringing the baitfish when sun heats the rocks and giving the pike a place to hide. If you come across a bridge that's got a discharge pipe near it, a toilet bowl effect on the upstream side with calm water under the bridge itself and some timber sticking out, the place is definately going to hold lots of pike. The area also has tons of backwaters, but getting to these areas can be a major pain in the ass unless you are on a canoe or rowboat. If you make the effort to get to these areas, your effort usually gets rewarded. These are also the few places on that stretch of the river that hold bass and bowfin. I love the fight of a bowfin, but I really don't care for landing them. Not only do they destroy lures, but I had a bigger one bend a pair of pliers when I was dehooking him. Granted they were from a dollar store, but they were still frickin' pliers.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I fish there all the time. I always catch 2 to 3 pike everytime I go. White spinnerbaits and chart. ones work the best.
I had a huge one on last year but was using 8lb line. He wrapped me around a tree and broke my line. Awesome spot.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've fished the stretch of the DPR from Euclid to lake-cook road so many times and have not even had so much as a bite. I'm beginning to think there is a conspiracy going on here with everyone photoshoping pictures of pike supposedly caught in the des plaines. I always bring some corn with me because when I get pissed off that I don't catch anything I can always rely on the good ol' carp to put a smile on my face.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.