Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you ever use a fluoro or mono leader when using braid to fish with topwater or whatever you use braid for. And has Power Pro ever messed up guides on a fishing rod. I have a 7 foot Medium HEavy casting rod St. Croix Triumph, i used it all week in Canada with a steel leader and didnt have a problem. Just wondering if i schould be using a mono or fluoro leader when using a swimbait or topwater, or if it will mess up one of my guides. Does Power Pro do that

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I have used a fluoro leader with PowerPro. Is it necessary? Probably not. Does PowerPro ruin the guides? It shouldsn't. I have been using it for about 4 years now and have never noticed a problem.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
About the guides, I have heard of that, but I believe it was with stainless guides and not powerpro. I have used pp on a MH Compre baitcasting rod with the typical synthetic guides since last year and have no wear. And this rod gets used heavily.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You dont want to use any kind of braid for top water because it doesnt stretch. you have to use a line with stretch.

plus braid rips big holes in the fishs mouth since it cant stretch

·
Registered
513 Posts
Spoon Man said:
You dont want to use any kind of braid for top water because it doesnt stretch. you have to use a line with stretch.

The only reason it would rip a hole in the fishes mouth is because the hook is being set to hard while using such line. It takes a little getting used to the no stretch but after habituated to it it becomes second nature. I love using braided on topwater in the slop and thick veggies, not only does the braided cut through the lillys and such but it is great for when the fish run deep in the cover. This is all only IMHO.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
not only does the braided cut through the lillys and such but it is great for when the fish run deep in the cover
I was going to say the exact same thing. You would need 50 pound mono to pull up a lily pad, but pp is like a saw. Plus its easier to control the bait with no stretch. Its great stuff for topwater.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I would never, ever throw a buzzbait without braid! Nor a topwater frog for that matter! Those hooks require a hard hookset, and if you cast it far, forget about a good hookset with mono. Especially in heavy weeds and/or pads. No need for a leader when fishing in the cover, or faster moving baits. Tie direct, and slam home the hookset!

Topwaters with trebles, I like to use mono, but have used braid in times when I do not have mono with, and it seems to work fine also. I just keep a looser drag.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I use braid with all my buzzbaits and frogs. Even finese fishing, I'll spool up my reel with braid and then attach 3 to 4 feet of fluoro. Unless you're fishing big fish that take out a lot of line from your reel from making hard runs, your guides should be fine.

Braid and mono combo is used widely out West for saltwater fishing where you need a lot of backing so that you don't get spooled. Even a 60lb tuna will rip 100 yards of braid easily at one time from your reel as it goes through the guides. During that run, that braid basically becomes very sharp and will cut through mono like hot knife on butter. I've seen a guy chase a tuna around the boat and cut off six people's line using mono. I use mostly SIC guides by Fuji and they hold up just fine to this abuse.

So, I don't think braid should be a problem.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Spoon Man said:

False.

Anglers who do not understand how to set their drag appropriately cause unnecessary damage to fish mouths.

ALL issues with braid can be traced back to angler error and ignorance. No exceptions.

Also..."stretched" monofilament has had it's structural integrity compromised and leaves the user at risk for undesirable results. IMO

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I'd like to add that rod action plays a huge role in what you can and can't do. If you use a medium action rod, it is forgiving enough that you could throw a popR with braid and get away with it. It all depends on your situation and what your using it for I guess... Never say never in the world of fishing!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.