Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted some questions a few weeks ago about baitcasters and finally will be purchasing the Revo SX along with a 7' Browning MH rod this weekend at Bass Pro. Now, my question is, what lb. power pro would you guys suggest spooling the reel up with? I'd be casting crankbaits and the like for bass, pike, walleye, roughly 70% of the time and some larger lures up to 2 ounces for muskie for the remainder of the time? I have a dilemma in choosing whether to go with the 40, 50, or 65 lb. line, all help is appreciated. Thanks, Mark.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I personally like casting with thinner line diameter. I saw on PowerPro's website that the 8lb and 10lb diameter lines are actually 30lb and 40lb, respectively. Do you think 30-40lb range is enough? That's what I use on my baitcasters right now, but I never fished for muskies, so I may be off here.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Kinda hard to use 1 rig for everything u just mentioned .

I think 40lb braid would be fine but I always lean toward the lighter side .

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Mark,

If you are going to fish for muskies with this rod/reel comb you are going to havet use at least 65# braid. I have snap 30# braid ( Spiderwire ) throwing 2oz lures for skies which has happen several times not just once. Luckly I was on the fox wading and was able to retrive my lures and muskie lures an't cheap and I tie the double polmar not. Once I changed to 65# braid it hasnt snapped off. 65# braid is a littlt heavy for bass and walleye fishing. It will be tuff casting some distance with the types of lures used for bass and walleyes but can be used or slop fishing for bass. Sorry bro if you are going to fish for all these game species you are going have to use mono or flour especially if your are going to topwater fish for bass which I know you are going to do :D . Who isn't. Anyways does the reel that you are planning to get come with a extra spool? If it does man thats a plus. Load one reel with 65# Power Pro and the other 14# mono or flour and your set.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
IXmarksthespot said:
Larry, that's what I was thinking would be my best bet but being an amateur with baitcasters I don't believe you can get or even exchange the spool on them, can you?
Ask the BSP staff when purchasing the combo. Who knows they might give you one for free or pay a few more bucks for an extra spool which is worth it.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I think if you are going to be fishing places where you will get hung up a lot or has a lot of rocks go to 50lb. If you will be fishing where there is grass then stick with 30-40. I suggest you don't go less than 30 only because a bad wind knot and you will see the 20lb braid snap in half. It isn't fun. I suggest 30-50lb.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just got in from my backyard and all I can say is "wow". Got the Revo SX and St. Croix Triump 7' MH today loaded with the 50 lb. Power Pro. Unbelievable how smooth and nice the reel is. Accuracy is nothing like I have seen before. Started off with a 2 ounce weight, then dropped down to 3/8 which was a little bit too light for me as of yet, so went up to a 1 ounce and got that down pretty good. Cannot wait to cast into actual water and not snow.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Just make sure its not this PowerPro line.. There is a counterfeit PowerPro line but has not made it's way to the US "yet", But maybe it has... we won't know until someone spots it... It's an old artical as if you notice the date back from 2006, but just watch out for it. If someone does spot it. Please post where at.

Heres the link... http://www.powerpro.com/press/news/deta ... NEWS_ID=23

EVERYONE SHOULD WATCH OUT FOR THIS PARTICULAR LINE!!!

Dave

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
christhecatman... If you click back on that link. look at the bar code numbers on it and compare it to the counterfeit one. You should be able to tell the difference that way as the 1000 yard spool still has a bar code with the same sticker label ;) The counterfeit #'s are smaller and also you can tell by the PowerPro Logo. take another look at that site. I'm sure you don't have the counterfeit one. But it would always be good to double check. :wink:

Dave

·
Registered
339 Posts
What kind of line do you guys normally use when you're just bass fishing in Illinois with baitcasters?

I've always used just 10lb test. I've never lost a bass with that. I've always been able to cast the lighter line farther as well.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
10 or 12 pound test mono or fluoro should be fine. If you are fishing slop or weeds on a baitcaster, then 30lb braid is what I would use.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.