Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Haha now I'm all excited for a video man.

I'm no expert on powerlining man, I'm sure many here are qualified to tell you what it is but to generalize. Its a weight shot out very far into the lake with a line running down to it with a number of hooks attached with various baits. A signal is attached to the top of the line and then you wait.

If you go out to the harbors (montrose or belmont) or various other lake locations you'll see guys out there with their fire extinguishers (used to propel weight out far) and their rigs.

I've never fished with someone, Mplant I gotta get out with you sometime. In fact I think I'll p.m. you about it now.... haha.

·
Banned
41 Posts
I have gone powerlineing with my cousin, Manny. You shoot a hunk of lead attached to your line out into the lake useibng an fire extingusher. Then you attach a lot of hooks and bait and wait. You attach your line to a rubber band and a little bell. If it wrings you pull in your fishes.

Can you powerlin in Wisco? Manny alwaays wants to go to wis. The dude is driving me batty. Can you use a powrline all year?

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Basically, a powerline is a trolley line baited with multiple hooks (10+). Some guys throw out their anchors (big weights - from 8 - 12oz or so...) and others propel it with a burst of CO2 (hence, the fire extinguisher). The weight is attached to a rubber band that attaches to your line of hooks. The rubber band pulls the bait out further away from shore.

I'm all geared up for powerlining. Might give it a go this weekend if water temps are favorable.

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Already have clearance from the tower to do Tuesday dawn patrol at my spot. Bringing the perch rod along too....... whether I get gobys or perch, it's all good. Cannon fodder or fillets right?! 8)

918 Posts
you can launch your weight with an air cannon or what ever u choose but I belive there is a law on how many hooks you can run on your trot line? if thas what it's called you need a ggod 200 yards of rubber band cord"powerline".....google that shit.. :lol: :lol:

·
Banned
41 Posts
I would like to try it in Wiscons cuz they got more fish up there. My cousin Manny and my freind "shakes' want to gou out by Waukegan or somewhere in the city.

I don't really like to powerlin but it is the only way that Manny and shakes like to fish. Both of them have got serious things goin on.

How many powrlines can one guy have out? if ther are three of us out how many lins can we have in the water? How many hooks? Maybe if we covered a whole area with hooks we could snag all of the fish that would swam through. .lol.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
KurtKaboom said:
I would like to try it in Wiscons cuz they got more fish up there. My cousin Manny and my freind "shakes' want to gou out by Waukegan or somewhere in the city.

I don't really like to powerlin but it is the only way that Manny and shakes like to fish. Both of them have got serious things goin on.

How many powrlines can one guy have out? if ther are three of us out how many lins can we have in the water? How many hooks? Maybe if we covered a whole area with hooks we could snag all of the fish that would swam through. .lol.
3 hooks max in WI

50 hooks max in IL

that should answer all of your questions

·
Banned
41 Posts
Thanks. It wouldn't be much fun only powerling with only three hooks. But if ya got 50 out there. they don't have a chance!!! lol.

I go powerlining with my cous Manny and my friend "shakes'. I don't really like to powerlin but my cousin Manny has the Down sindrum and shakes used to be a methhead and now he shakes uncontrollbly so we call him shakes..lol.

It's funn to watch Manny run when he hears the bell ring. He gets reall excited and him and shakes fight over who gets to pull the fish in. Sometimes Manny just grabs the line and starts running...It is soooo funy.

I have to go with them because neither one of them should be alowed to shoot the fire extiguisher, they might kill someone. The only time I let shakes shoot it off he killed a canada goose. blasted it right out of the air. manny was mad cause he sad that shakes killed a big duck. oh well.

Ive oly caught them small silver salman. I just go to watch Manny and shakes fight. If Manny wasn't retarded I don't think we would do it.

Kurt

·
Banned
41 Posts
mplant1 said:
wait a second, you've got a retarded, former Meth Head shooting off lead weights and rubberbanding a bunch of hooks??

funny. just be careful!
yeah it is kinda funny. One has got the donws syndrum and the other is a recoverd methhead. So they like to use a powertline. Its a good way to get them out where they dont really gotta do anything and still might catch some fishes.

whats your excuse?

How long have you been fishin the biglake? I wanna get out more often and start catching some trout. Kurt

·
Banned
41 Posts
I might get out my powerline stuff tomorow. I got the dayoff and Manny and shakes (who don't work ) are chompin at the bit to go.

Ill try and take some pics....Manny has to wear a life vest in case he goes in. Shakes is so worthless all he could do is point at my cousin and jump around.

I think I still got a camera somewhere at home. It might still work but shakes droped it onthe ice. Can you post videos hereZ? How do you do it?

youll laughh youyr ass off watching Manny pull in a fish. It's really good when he just runs holding the line. I almost pee my pants so does Shakes. Manny is so crazy.

Kurt

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.