Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K, so, my scheduled partner for this morning bails on me (again). So, I throw the canoe on my car, and head on out to my favorite bassin hole. Only managed 6 fish... :cry:

So, some details: Water temps were 46.7-47.0 degrees during my short stint on the water. Throwing a red craw rattle trap. Pretty much burning it over the tops of the weeds over main lake flats that are pretty shallow. About 10 minutes in, hook into my first fish, a real sow! All by myself in a canoe, so I tried my best to get a phone pic, here is my effort.....(pretty much shaking from adrenaline :oops:)

In sheer desperation to get a good pic of this fish, i call SpEd beggin him to come out and take the pics for me. He tells me to take a long walk off a short pier... :cry: So, I make a few more calls, and finally found somebody willing to come out and take some pics for me. I tie up this big girl, and keep her in the water, and SLOWLY paddle my way to shore awaiting my camera man. 30 minutes of precious fishing time lost on this whole ordeal, but he came, brought his camera, and snapped a few photos (which I hope to receive shortly), and also take my phone to snap this...

Can't wait to see the camera pics, that fish was a beast, measuring at 21" +, and thick as a brick shinola house. Gotta be a 2 pounder, right? :p Will update the pics here when I receive them, as they should be better than these....

After all that, the bass was released, and swam away looking very healthy.

Back to fishing....Only have about 1.5-2.0 hours left now :cry:

Set the hook 5 more times, all using the same technique. The rest of the clan were only 14" except for this guy, who was much longer, but rather skinny I thought...

Well, so ended a great day on the lake, fishing solo once again. Rumor has it that JeffD showed up after I left, and also caught some hawgs.....Looking forward to the report...

D

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Awesome fish, I can't wait to see the camera shots.

Seeing you on that canoe makes me want to get out my old "Rouge River" canoe and hit the closet water.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Beautiful fish. Only 6 fish huh.....awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. Only 6?!? Most would be happy with one this time of year. :roll:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Islandfisher said:
Awesome fish, I can't wait to see the camera shots.

Seeing you on that canoe makes me want to get out my old "Rouge River" canoe and hit the closet water.
LOL, that is what my canoe is, a Rogue River 14TK 8)

Well, here are the camera shots, they look better:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Love the Rouge River! Those are indestructible.
Oh, now you've gone and done it! I'll give that canoe a week or two before I find a way to destroy it!! :lol:

Actually I just bought it, and this was my second trip out in it. Still getting used to that tippy feeling, but I think I've got the hang of it, and I would guess that if I actually have a partner that shows up :p , with 2 people, the canoe will feel even more stable.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
We have been pretty dang rough with ours, and its still mint after 8 or 9 years. We would have wrecked an aluminum or fiberglass canoe for sure. They are actually really stable with two guys. The RR is a lake canoe design, so its much wider than most 14'ers. I think it makes it better all around, whether you're on a river or a lake. Good times!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.