Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I had a nice weekend planned out. I was going to fish my buddies private ponds all friday then hit up the Kishwaukee river sat morning. Unfortunately Saturday was extremely windy so I only got to fish Friday, good thing I took off work.

I was fishing out of the kayak again, I noticed a lot of bass on beds and decided to leave them alone. I decided to throw finesse jigs, sluggos, and crankbaits this time instead of the spinnerbait. Even though the spinnerbait has been working great I wanted to try something new and the water visibility was way up so I didn't need as much flash'n'thump. Overall I caught 8 bass and lost 1 on a thrown hook. 5 of them were under 2lbs which were caught on sluggos and crankbaits. The other 2 measured 3lb 7oz and 4lb 1oz both caugh on an finesse jig with a yum crawbug trailer.

All were caught close to wood and most were right by the shore. the 2 big guys put of great fights which I'll explain in a bit. Does anyone know how long bass usually spawn for? I can't wait to lay into some big hungry mommas.

This fish was a monster, I flipped my crawjig on top of a log right next to shore. It fell to the farside and she inhaled it immediately it. I was pretty worried because she was running my 10lb fireline along the log for a while before she popped out the side and made a run under the yak. I'm very happy with this line, it has held up great for me in a few pretty nasty situations. Also, in the last pic you can see the jig I was using. It looked great falling and when it hit the bottem the skirt kind of "bloomed" open. So the eakins jig with a crawbug is a new favorite of mine.

This was my last fish of the day, I had to put on my longsleeve because I was an IDIOT and didn't bring any sunscreen, luckily I didn't burn that bad. My friend got there just in time to see me pull this guy of some deep structure. She put of the best fight of them all constantly pulling drag and trying to tangle herself up in structure. My st. croix had enough backbone to muscle her out whenever she'd go for the logs.

All in all a great day. I tried some new techniques that payed off huge and caught my new best fish.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the comments guys, I still have a tore up "bass thumb" to remind myself of the last weekend. I'm fiending to get get out on the Kishwaukee and catch some bronzebacks and pike too. Keep an eye out for a report this weekend... hopefully.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.