Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, First In no way is my intention to knock any brand I think they all are pretty good. I have been using a 6 inch Nils with a cordless drill works good. I have a power auger that is a 8 inch auger like here under-the-open-sky.com/best-ice-augers. I have back issues when it hits the end of the hole it jars me sometimes and hurts me. What are the differences in say a Ion verse a k drill etc. I kind of want to sell the power one while its worth something. Would I be happy with just a power hand drill. I really like how light they are. I might need a better hand drill. I do run and gun. Mostly panfish with a few eyes. What are your thought's. I want just what works best for you. Thanks so much really like across the ice belt.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Kayaloyl said:
Hello, First In no way is my intention to knock any brand I think they all are pretty good. I have been using a 6 inch Nils with a cordless drill works good. I have a power auger that is a 8 inch auger. I have back issues when it hits the end of the hole it jars me sometimes and hurts me. What are the differences in say a Ion verse a k drill etc. I kind of want to sell the power one while its worth something. Would I be happy with just a power hand drill. I really like how light they are. I might need a better hand drill. I do run and gun. Mostly panfish with a few eyes. What are your thought's. I want just what works best for you. Thanks so much really like across the ice belt.
There was another thread about this recently. I really love my 18V Milwaukee Fuel with pretty much any auger. I've used it with numerous different ones, and it just rips through ice, and the batteries last all day. As far as the jarring at the end of the hole, that could be dull blades, but I think it's more related to technique when drilling. You have to remove pressure from the drill/auger when you get to the end of the hole. If you don't, it catches that last little edge of ice(that it can't shave anymore) and will "jam" on it, creating that jarring effect on your body. The way I do it, is I pretty much only put pressure on the drill to get it started, then I release pressure gradually as the hole gets deeper, and let the drill/blades do the work just like if you were drilling wood or something else. When I know I'm getting close to the end of the hole, I start to lift up on it, to keep it from binding on that last little bit of ice. Seems to work just fine. It's a timing thing really.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I'm currently selling a brand new Milwaukee Drill + Batteries that is recommended by everyone for use with augers, 1200in-lbs of torque lets you drive up too a 10" auger. DM me or check out the other thread if interested!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
You can find catchafew's review and my review contrasting kdrill setup with the ION here: https://www.windycityfishing.com/forums ... ll#p900265

Looking back after getting a little more experience with kdrill and a lot more with the ION, I still stand by what I wrote in that thread. The one thing I will say is the speed and power of the ION may make more a difference than you might think. I find myself frequently in situations where I want to turn where I'm fishing into swiss cheese in order to create hole hopping opportunities for 2-3 anglers and/or lay down a 4-6 tip-up spread. That being said, it is a lot heavier than a drill + kdrill setup (though still a lot lighter than a gas auger).

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
if you add a clam plate won't that stop the jarring? I'm thinking about adding one to my arsenal this year to go with the K DRILL / Fuel set up.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I think the jarring may be related to underpowered drill and/or effect SmalliesNEyes is talking about which I believe is a function of the chipper blade and the proper use of an auger with such a blade. All that being said, you don't have any such issues with an ION. Part of the reason I went the ION route is I wanted it to be something easy for the kids to use.

·
Registered
147 Posts
billebob5 said:
if you add a clam plate won't that stop the jarring? I'm thinking about adding one to my arsenal this year to go with the K DRILL / Fuel set up.
I have a Clam plate and I frequently get the jamming. I love the plate. I think it's a much more comfortable position for holding the auger. My drill was under-powered and I was probably pressing down too hard. I'll have to try SmalliesNEyes' recommendation. I also got a more powerful drill.

I'll keep using my Clam plate locally for thinner ice. But I recently bought a new-to-me gas auger with a much wider blade that I intend to use for thicker ice.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
DasGoby said:
by DasGoby » Dec Wed 18, 2019 11:22 am

You can find catchafew's review and my review contrasting kdrill setup with the ION here: https://www.windycityfishing.com/forums ... ll#p900265

Looking back after getting a little more experience with kdrill and a lot more with the ION, I still stand by what I wrote in that thread. The one thing I will say is the speed and power of the ION may make more a difference than you might think. I find myself frequently in situations where I want to turn where I'm fishing into swiss cheese in order to create hole hopping opportunities for 2-3 anglers and/or lay down a 4-6 tip-up spread. That being said, it is a lot heavier than a drill + kdrill setup (though still a lot lighter than a gas auger).
I've never tried a ion, I'm sure it's more powerful and can pop more holes. I'm not in the best shape, not having a snowmobile yet to deal with deep snow (20" so far) walking on the ice and so the 8" k drill and Milwaukee drill are good deal for me at 10 pounds. I'm getting about 20 holes per battery on 16" to 20" of ice. My old gas 10" augers at 26 pounds was just too heavy for me to drag around and got more troublesome to start each year despite changing plugs, premium gas and the leak and stink up your car. Cordless electric augers are the way of the future. Determine what best fits your needs. Always keep a manual backup hand auger with your gear just in case. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Pros, you will have a good tool that will serve you for a lot of time. Cons, you will have to waste a lot of energy in order to charge it. You have to decide if you really need it, because if you don't, you will end up with that auger hanging on your garage's door! By the way, if you want a better energy deal or some lifehacks about it, you can go here simplyswitch.com and see what you can do about it. For example, I have used the information there to change my electricity supplier!

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Gee - really appreciate your insight. :shock:

·
Registered
222 Posts
All pros, no cons.
Combustion augers might have an edge in tundra conditions like Canada gets but I'd never know. Canada won't let me in anymore.
I'll stay stateside with my ridiculously efficient 8" electric auger.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
New blades every year and 6 inch lazer powered by fast food and 60 year old arms. IDK. As long as ice is under 10 inches dont mind punching 20 holes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts