Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been fishing Heidecke for the last 3 years with almost no luck.I have caught a few small walleyes and a few white bass thats it.Just went out there April 2nd and fished for 5 hours, and caught nothing.I have been fishing both sides of the lake with live bait and Rapala rattle traps,and Shad raps, with no luck.while leaving Wed.I was talking to a guy who caught 5 stripers over 17 inches in 2 hours using rapala's,could anyone help please, my kids are starting to become completely disinterested in fishing, I love the lake and I know there are some absolute pigs out there but I just need to be pointed in the right direction.I am mainly using spinning rod and reels MH with 20lb braided line,with either rapalas or live bait and lindy rigs, and I am fishing from a boat.Thanks in advance this site has been a HUGE help in other lakes i have fished and greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
what are you going after? if your out there throwing random stuff hoping to catch random fish, your chances go way down. narrow down your target specie and focus your tactics around them.

have you tried chicken livers as live bait? it seems to be a hot live bait of choice for stripers.

i've caught smallies there on xraps but thats about all i can tell you about the bass fishing at heidecke. we've got some heidecke veterans on the site who'll probably jump in later.

·
Super Moderator
6,284 Posts
Some boaters really like casting the rocks on the north side, but I have always preferred to troll. The methods I have used the last few years have been very simple. Normally I stay in about 12 feet of water and try to contour troll the breaks. With all the humps out there I enevitably end of in shallower or deeper water and usually these are the transition areas where I get hooked up. Any medium running crank will do, and I actually have done best with a perch pattern. Maybe it stands out from the shad? Not sure, but it has worked well. Many people prefer to run SR5's or 7's out there, which I sometimes run myself. There usually is about a month long window in the Spring and again in the Fall when the bite is pretty good. In the warmer months when the shad hatch there is just too much bait in the water to consistently catch fish.
BTW- I have heard good things about using the livers for hybrids. 2 things to keep in mind though. One, they are an absolute mess, and with kids in the boat you can probably triple that mess :p Secondly, they are not very good baits if you plan on releasing the fish because they swallow the hook most every time.
Anyways, hope you keep trying out there because it can be alot of fun when the fish are on. I used to say that I never could have 2 good days in a row there, but I have had better luck since they shut down the plants. Keep at it and I am sure you will eventually have a great day.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.