Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cabelas had them for 99 dollars on clearence regular 240 dollars checked around that is what they were going for I ordered one on line only,never got to see or feel it but took a chance Anybody thinking of getting a new reel and thats what they want to spend, you got to check out this reel There is not another 100 dollar reel that can touch it I am not a export on reels but i bought 4 reels in that price range ,shimano saros,symetre,abu garcia stx and the tour,what a difference with the tour,if its going to last well i donit know but i am going to give it a good workout

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What do you mean the tour pt now this is there spinning reel, if it is go to cabelas web site i think it is listed in the bargain cave you pay for it ,have it shipped or pick up at a store near you I got the 20 size not to small but not to large

·
Registered
825 Posts
Weren't those reels redesigned which is why they were blowing out the old ones?

My buddy has a couple of the ones you speak of. One of them had a screaming bearing right out of the box. Hope you get a good one. Isn't Andrew R a Quantum guy?

·
Registered
825 Posts
Cranked,
Agreed 100%. Plus, I bet that the reels that KVD get are not the same ones we could buy. Same with his Nitro.

I've never had reel problems but I've only owned Shimano, Daiwa, and Garcia.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I have the older model (blue) quantum pt tour edition baitcaster and have not had any problems at all with it. I put it through the wringer of all wringers on Saturday at Deep Lake and it held up perfectly through all 24 bass.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Based on my experience I'd have to agree with Cranked.

Bought an energy baitcaster and it had the screaming bearing thing going on....returned it for a Daiwa.

Got a great deal on the Energy spinning reel and after a year the "lifetime warrantied" "indestructible" titanium bail failed.
Returned it to Quantum for repair under the warranty and they CHARGED me like $30 plus shipping to fix it! :evil:

2 strikes is all I gave em...Quantum is crap.

·
Registered
299 Posts
i bought a bunch of these when they went on sale last year.. 3 baitcasters and 1 spinning.. 1 screamed like crazy out of the box but i exchanged it for a new one and now its fine.. funny how cranked mentioned the 2 to 1 ratio.. right on the button!.. the spinning reel, i never had a problem with... but it is pretty heavy... bought the 30 version.. i think it weighs like almost 13 oz... even the baitcasters are heavy at around 9.5 oz... but i think for $120 a pop it's a good deal for either the spinning or baitcaster... definitely would NOT pay $240 a piece.. one thing to note though, the pt baitcasters all have a louder than normal whizzing when casting.. i actually like the sound of it... but the screaming ones, you can definitely tell something is up... as for durability i hear its hit or miss... mine have held up well so far but i've only fished 2 of the reels hard..

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I have a couple quantum tour edtions both spinning and a baitcaster. I haven't had a problem with the baitcaster but both spinning reels have been in the shop. I won't be buying another quantum.

·
Banned
655 Posts
Paul S said:
Weren't those reels redesigned which is why they were blowing out the old ones?

My buddy has a couple of the ones you speak of. One of them had a screaming bearing right out of the box. Hope you get a good one. Isn't Andrew R a Quantum guy?
Yes I am, Paul.

I don't know what you mean by "screaming bearing", but if the reel makes a "VROOOOOOOOOOOM!" sound when you engage in the cast, it's 100% normal and sings a sweet song to my ears. Perfectly normal feature on the reels.

The only problems I've had with Quantum are in a failed clutch/instant anti-reverse on the spinning reels - on the latest Catalyst only. I write them letters (nice and angry, but not pissed off), and I get new reels as replacements free of charge. (Catalysts are CRAP compared to the old Energy's). When you fish with Chris this weekend at Deep tourney ask him about his Quantums. Last Friday he told me he wants to get another Energy. :)

If you encounter any failed parts and if the reel already has an expired warranty, buy some parts from tackleservice.com if you are mechanically inclined and you save money.

All reels and their respected companies have flaws and issues. I've got a huge one with Shimano as almost every spinning reel of theirs that I've owned ($80-150 range) has ALWAYS encountered a broken bail after 50 days of fishing. I'd expect better performance than that.

I have seven (7) various Quantum PT baitcasters thrown in with a Musky reel, and another seven (7) in the spinning reel department. I agree that you get what you pay for and I couldn't be any more pleased.

To the guy who says 9.5oz is too heavy for a casting reel, you must have never used a big baitcaster for Muskies. :lol: 9.5oz is nothing!

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Zebco at one time made the best spinng real made anywere and crank baits
two,the zebco cardinal was made in sweden, first spinning reel to put the drag in the back 5-1 ratio when it came , stayr of the art I rember buying
one the number 3 one 30 dollars new .know i could get 200 plus from collectors of them, should of bought more, Will post some pitures of them and i got some crankbaits from zebco pretty rare

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.