Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been fishing my whole life and have never caught a walleye. I was hoping I could get some advice on where, when and how to catch walleye. Any and all information would be fantastic. I reside in the southwest burbs Chicago. I will be fishing from shore.

·
Banned
655 Posts
If I didn't post these articles I've written up, I'd be writing a large book in this post.

Some people here already despise my links for good reason but regardless what the overall consensus is, which I can care less of because it comes along with the job of having your own fishing site, save and use these to your benefit. They hopefully should help and get you started and off into the right direction.

If you have any particular or specific questions, feel free to respond right here. You're in good hands.

Lure Ideas for Walleyes :: http://www.fishing-headquarters.com/fishcast/?p=96

Fishing Rivers in the Fall :: http://www.fishing-headquarters.com/fis ... =8&paged=2

Guide to River Walleyes :: http://www.fishing-headquarters.com/art ... reyes.html

Others should chime in. No doubt about it.

Hopefully this gets you started.

If I were you, I would wade. Might make life a lot easier.

andrew

·
Registered
139 Posts
If you are fishing a lake try shallow structure that is near deaper water. They love two things sharp breaks and rock. They will sit in the weeds, but you have a better chance on rock, larger chunky rock seems to hold them more.

If you can locate this. Throw a jig and a monnow/crawler/leach(leaches don't work till the water is about 60) and hop it along the structure. Or throw a bobber with the same offering in the same area. For artificials, every walleye angler always reaches for the Shad Rap #5 first

·
Administrator
5,364 Posts
Since you are in the southwest suburbs, the two closest forest preserve waters to you might be Tampier and Saganashkee Slough. Both of which have decent walleye numbers.

Low light periods will give you your best odds. Try working a jig and minnow combo off of the bottom or structure. Rocky areas are good spots to target. And as the warmer months approach, a leach can be deadly for walleye.

·
Super Moderator
6,276 Posts
I don't know how close you are to Wolf Lake at the IL/IN border, but I always hear good eye reports coming from the "corn channel". Jerkbaits seemed to be the preferred ticket. I have never fished there myself, but it the closest thing besides maybe the Kankakee River that I can think of. If you really want to get that first eye, hiring JD Spinners for a trip on the Fox Chain is almost certain to net a few a few eyes plus many other bonus fish.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all of the responses. My guess is, right about this time of year is the best time to catch the walleye. I am thinking of heading to the kankakee river this weekend around warner bridge. What kind of jigs would I use? Do I top them with minnows? I thougt the links were very good.

·
Administrator
5,364 Posts
Not sure how the water levels are on the K3 right now, but i'm assuming they are a little high, as are all the other rivers in the region.

You might want to go with a jig that is very visible and heavy enough to work through the currents. A large fathead minnow on the jig will likely increase your chances IMO.

We have a few river experts who post here at WCF. I'd love to hear their thoughts on the Kankakee River for walleye this time of year.

·
Registered
139 Posts
For the river i would go with the smallest jig you can get to sink without swimming past you on braid. I would tip the jig with a pair of Gulp minnows. I would use a 4" on the jig first topped with a 3" one. This method is called "twin tailing" and was introduced by Gary Parsons, 2007 PWT angler fo the year. For more info on it check out his website www.thenextbite.com.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all of the advice. I am going to head out tomorrow. Looks like it will be a nice day. Latest report on the Kankakee was it was high but down a foot and should be good by the weekend. So, wish me luck. I have never used jigs before, so I guess it is time I learn![/quote]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, went out to the kankakee on Sunday. Caught a rock bass, smallmouth and a sucker. Oh well. The river was too high for me to fish. I couldn't find any eddies or slack areas because the water was too high. Once, it goes down I hope to do better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.