Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never fished using braided line before, I usually just fish the des plaines for pike and for bass in various lakes and ponds. With the occasional catfish outing. Right Now I use regular mono line usually i run about 10 pound test. I do like to fish frogs on the top water and heard braid is the way to go.

Was wondering a good pound test line to use and some brands, I dont want anything to big just enough to get me by. I do not want to spend over 10 dollars on line. I don't know if that's realistic but... Also if I use braid on the Des Plaines does that mean I wont have to use a steel leader for pike anymore? CAn I use braid on an open face reel, or is it mainly a better use with a baitcaster?

Also like replacing mono line every season or so is braid the same, or does it last a lot longer? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
kman711 said:
I do not want to spend over 10 dollars on line.
good luck man. if you find braid for less than 10 bux let us know! I usually pay $12-$13 for 100 yards of 40# powerpro

but i don't hesitate with purchasing braid. i've saved enough money by losing less lures

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
You probably won't find a Braided line under $10.00 . But It will Last much longer, You will lose less lures. You can go as high as 50 lb braid and it will only have like 10lb test diameter, So it will be the Same exact width as your 10lb mono just much stronger. Fishing braid is great for places like the Des plaines and even bass fishing, Especially frog fishing. Having an invisible line is important to, but if Your mainly hitting the des plaines and also using a lot of fast motion lures... then the braids fine :-]

Just use common sense,

Don't leave any "Excess" Line on the ground, be careful on snags If you can't get your lure back Try to break it off as close to the lure as possible... a Few feet of extra braided line flowing in the water will really piss off the mono fisherman if they lose any lures to everything that's attached itself to your line.

Good Luck

<((><

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
just watch out for the fake power-pro on Ebay.... It is a scam.

Buy from Bass Pro or Cabelas. or etc...

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
ebay is the best if your are cheap. I got a bunch of braid there for cheap but still more than 10 dollars- but I got 600 yards of suffix 50 lb for 40bucks. Its saved me alot of lures because I just tear down trees or bend hooks when i get snagged.

·
Registered
299 Posts
WrenchingnFishing said:
just watch out for the fake power-pro on Ebay.... It is a scam.

Buy from Bass Pro or Cabelas. or etc...
wow thats insane.. they have fake power pro now too? ive heard of the fake chinese LCs but not power pro.. i bought 1500 yards on ebay for 90 bucks.. hope its not fake! bought it from poorfish so it should be ok.. they seem pretty trustworthy

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
svslider said:
the fake power pro is an old scam and they didnt get the label right (like all counterfeits) so theres a pic of the fake online.
Yup, you got it! I don't have time to search it right now. but will try to find it later on...

One way to tell is if the Blue circle on the outer Packaging is purple, thats a fake! :wink:

Most fake power pro is sold out of the USA like Europe and etc... so beware.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I usually just buy the 1500 yard spools, because not only are you saving money in the long run, but don't have to stop by the stores as much to pick up line. I use 40 lb power pro and yes it is over 10 bucks but you won't find braid for 10 bucks. Just remember you get what you pay for. If you are looking for super small diameter lines there is a braid by daiwa called samurai braid. I've used it for salmon before and it is a softer braid that makes less noise/vibration with lures in the water. It also has super small diameters but is very very expensive. The lowest I would go on a baitcaster with that stuff is 65 lb, but on spinning I would go lower. Its all about price these days though, and pound for pound I haven't had a problem with power pro.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.