Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I just switched from 10lb test PowerPro to 8lb test PowerPro.
I can still haul logs off the bottom of the river with it and it's thin enough to go bluegill fishing if I want to.

I've tried all the other brands and PowerPro is the most supple and easiest to cast.

The others are like fishing with piano wire by comparison.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I too use Power Pro and have had good luck. When the water starts getting clear, I won't hesitate to switch to 8 lb flourocarbon. I have no problems with breakoffs with either line. I use 8 lb P-Line flourocarbon. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Once I was froggin' with 40# pp and i casted into the upper branches of a dead tree from a boat. i was able to pull the tree down and into the water with that stuff. literally, the trunk of the tree snapped and it came crashing into the water. new structure! that stuff is crazy strong! jaypee was there with me that day. he can back this crazy story up!!

mike

·
Registered
513 Posts
mplant1 said:
Once I was froggin' with 40# pp and i casted into the upper branches of a dead tree from a boat. i was able to pull the tree down and into the water with that stuff. literally, the trunk of the tree snapped and it came crashing into the water. new structure! that stuff is crazy strong! jaypee was there with me that day. he can back this crazy story up!!

mike
single greatest thing I have read today, :lol:

·
Registered
513 Posts
mplant1 said:
webofsnyderman said:
single greatest thing I have read today, :lol:
ha, thanks. its a true story! i should've taken some before and after pictures of the tree take down
Shall I call you Paul Bunyan?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
You must have bad aim to cast in the top of a tree at deep :lol:
I use braid but theres alot of different kinds, Ive heard that the supple nature of pp and suffix can cause wind knots in spinning setups with lower lb test.
I use fireline crystal in 2 lb diameter for spinning and suffix 50 lb(12 lb diameter) for baitcast. You can tie on a leader for finess or special situations.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I use 20 LB spider wire but i tie on some fluracarbon ( about 4 feet) using an albright not to connect. I like it so fish dont see the line and its alot easier to tie nots onto lures etc.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have one rod setup with 10 lb. test Power Pro, and another setup with 10 lb. test Invisibraid. Those are 2 lb diameter equivalent. I would recommend both of them, and honestly there's really no difference between them. One is red, one is white. Both are great, and nearly IMPOSSIBLE to break off trying to pull out snags. Most of the time, I end up bending hooks. Only time I break off is if I have a fray in the line. I've pulled down branches and have pulled up entire logs off the bottom. I've also had to wrap the line around my arm 3-4 times, when wearing long sleeves, in order to pull out a snag, because it just doesn't want to break. You can't go wrong with Power Pro or Invisibraid.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.