Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just gettin' over a nasty little virus that's been makin' the rounds when the wife came down with the same thing, so I only had about an hour to fish on Sunday without too much of a guilt trip.

Fished the McHenry dam from 2-3 pm. Sunny & cold, HIGH water, 6-8 other guys out. Tossed a jig & GULP! 4" minnow along current breaks. Ultimately got the skunk but I did get quite a few short hits & misses, presumably from Mr. Walter. Oh well, may try again tomorrow after work w/ actual live bait or a smaller presentation.

Highlight of the day was seeing a chunky 22" walleye caught (in the protected slot) & kept (given away to another angler) despite me & another angler informing them of the slot limit. After they ignored our protests I called the Poacher's Hotline. While waiting for a CPO to show up the guy that received the fish took off, but we directed the CPO to the angler that caught the fish & I don't know what was said, but violations we're definitely written. Didn't stick around to witness the full aftermath, but better than doing nothing.

Nice just to be casting and feeling a few taps. Sorry for the rant, and as always, good fishing.

Alex

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
To my knowledge there is no slot limit on the fox river 14" is the minimum and you can keep 5. Unless they are counting the Mchenery Dam part of the Chain. Which you are allow to harvest 2 between 14-18" and 1 over 24" which includes your harvest of 2. Anything below 14" or between 18 and 24" must be thrown back.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was not aware of a slot limit on the river either, but a couple other anglers were adamant that it existed at the dam as well, so I called... won't lose any sleep over it either way. The CPO could have been issuing a no license citation for all I know... wouldn't have surprised me based on the appearance & characteristics of some of the anglers I saw fishing yesterday :wink: I generally never keep any fish from Illinois anyways, so I could care less what the limit is since it's catch, photo, release for me, but I'll be damned if I don't try stopping poachers on my watch!

I appreciate the heads up though, Legend. I'll have to do more research next time. Good fishing.

Alex

·
Registered
86 Posts
There is a slot limit of 18 to 24 south of the il and wi line to the algonquin dam.Same regs apply all of the chain.PAGE 17 OF FISHING REGS.The ledgend was correct with limits and lengths just needed to extend it to algonquin dam.And the fish has to be under 18" CANT TOUCH THE 18"INCH MARK MUST BE RELEASED.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Theres a sign right at the damn stating the slot limit. All I can say is they better not do that when Gill is around, he will probably string them up.. He gets anal about that. Yelled at few folks myself keeping under size wallys in the past.

Dubs and me were there Saturday, dubs justin caught a 10lb carp other than that no bites at all. Tried using fatheads with no luck. DNR was there as usuall checking licenses.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
RAPMAN said:
There is a slot limit of 18 to 24 south of the il and wi line to the algonquin dam.Same regs apply all of the chain.PAGE 17 OF FISHING REGS.The ledgend was correct with limits and lengths just needed to extend it to algonquin dam.And the fish has to be under 18" CANT TOUCH THE 18"INCH MARK MUST BE RELEASED.
Rapman, glad you can join us and thanks for the info never new that. You and Bossman still slaying those crops on Pistakee? :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
so many regulations it's hard to keep track. the modern angler has a lot of responsibilities it's no wonder so many are considered poachers. heck, i was probably poaching on many occasions and i didn't even know it.

i don't keep anything but stocked trout and the occasional salmon. ok, i confess, don't kill me but i did kept a couple smallmouths in michigan. i don't eat fish but my mom said it was one of the best fish she's had.

i should be getting a letter from the smallmouth alliance anyday now. :lol: but i feel so much better letting that out. :mrgreen:

<--- Augy the smallmouth killer.... BOOOOO!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.