Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yesterday I decided to do a quick morning, before the storm, paddle around Allison Woods - it's fairly close to my place and I've never been there. I gotta say that at present water level the launch is not optimal for a sit in - it ends well above the water and the lower portion of it is covered in mud. I sort of plopped in from above and thought "getting out here will be interesting". My next thought: "where's my lure box?". And so, I quickly found out that crawling back on the launch is tricky but doable.
Having finally collected my stuff I headed upstream. I encountered quite a bit of wildlife - an osprey, or some other similarly-sized raptor, a buck, and a requisite beaver - I see beavers all the time now. I paddled up to Palatine bridge, covering a few areas several times but got nothing apart from a couple of taps, so I decided to see what's downstream. I had a single senko with me so I decided to try it for a change, and the second cast produced a dink smallie. I followed with an almost identical fish and about 10" largemouth. By that time it was 11:30, and I wanted to get out there well before the rain that was supposed to start at 2, and so I turned around. Paddling upstream on that section of the river is a chore, it really is better suited for the periods of slower current or one way trips. I cannot imagine myself doing 3 miles upstream trips like I do on Lake Co. launches, not unless the current slows down some. I was home at 1, the rain finally arrived at 7 pm.

Some pictures:

Seriously, this is not a great launch.
Water Sky Natural landscape Plant Tree

A deer crossing the river right next to the retaining wall on Milwaukee ave. I ran into the beaver on the other side of that pile of dirt.
Water Sky Natural landscape Lake Fluvial landforms of streams

According to the '18 electrofishing study there aren't any smallies in the DPR above Irving Park rd. so even a dink is a big deal for me.
Water Vertebrate Fisherman Fish Salmon-like fish

My wife was looking at my pictures and said - apart from that dead one we never see bucks. Well, this one seems to be both alive and growing antlers.
Water Plant community Plant Natural environment Natural landscape

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
I used that launch once. That day going upstream I found a shallow flat area that was loaded with carp. Didn’t fish for them and thought I would go back someday but never did.

~JOE~

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I used that launch once. That day going upstream I found a shallow flat area that was loaded with carp. Didn’t fish for them and thought I would go back someday but never did.
DPR is chock full of carp, I saw one launch itself into the air yesterday. Super annoying when you think "oh, that fallen tree looks fishy" and then 20 carp burst from there. I went upstream because I hoped that bridges, and rock piles, and retaining walls hold some fish. They probably do, I just did not catch any.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
I would recommend that you find some carp locations. Bait the area with corn then anchor up and fish small hooks threaded with corn. You will have a blast.
You might find that you enjoy it and will make it a regular thing.

~JOE~

·
Registered
7,820 Posts
Should be perfectly legal to pick off those carp with a .22.

When I worked off Hintz Rd I would fish over there a lot. The old gondola pier and patio upstream of the Milwaukee Ave bridge occasionally held a fish. (Now just broken concrete). Definitely a lot of smallmouth moving into those parts after the Hoffman dam came down. I believe dam #3 is now gone. That was the one just upstream of Touhy Ave. Most of the southern portion of the DPR has always been decent for smallmouth, especially in the runt size. Way to get out and explore. The river always changes with levels and laydowns. Bridges and culverts are definitely good starting points when it's super hot though.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I foul-hooked a carp once, I though the damn thing is taking me to Wisconsin. I think it's best to leave them to shore fishermen.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I worked off Hintz Rd I would fish over there a lot. The old gondola pier and patio upstream of the Milwaukee Ave bridge occasionally held a fish. (Now just broken concrete). Definitely a lot of smallmouth moving into those parts after the Hoffman dam came down. I believe dam #3 is now gone. That was the one just upstream of Touhy Ave.
The concrete pier is indeed broken up, but it creates an eddy and there's a steel wall immediately downstream, looks like a good spot. I dunno, too accessible? Too obvious? Not enough effort on my part? Dam #2 feels like the obvious next step - same short drive, and seems to be a much easier launch.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
You can launch underneath 294 in Park Ridge Google map it. Not supposed to drive in or park there. I used to park on Sibley (think that’s the name) and cart my canoe or yak down to the river. I fished that stretch to Algonquin Rd many times. At times it was really good and sometimes it wasn’t but I rarely skunked there. Mostly pike and rock bass.

~JOE~

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You can launch underneath 294 in Park Ridge Google map it. Not supposed to drive in or park there. I used to park on Sibley (think that’s the name) and cart my canoe or yak down to the river. I fished that stretch to Algonquin Rd many times. At times it was really good and sometimes it wasn’t but I rarely skunked there. Mostly pike and rock bass.

~JOE~
Looks like you can at least turn into the drive and load/unload. I am not sure I'll make it that far downstream this year though - I have four solid solo routes in Lake Co. section right now, and I think I can add a fifth. And I've never paddled Sterling lake. And I have some ideas for one way paddles.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
You can drive in there but it’s really not allowed.
I know a good one way paddle but you would need a bicycle and be willing to walk your yak about 1 1/3 miles down a paved path. It’s a bit of work but at times it’s worth it. It’s on the southern section.

~JOE~

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know a good one way paddle but you would need a bicycle and be willing to walk your yak about 1 1/3 miles down a paved path. It’s a bit of work but at times it’s worth it. It’s on the southern section.
Nah, I'd need a cart, right now I rely on the fact that my yak is just over 40# and I can easily carry it. For a couple of hundred feet at least :)

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Indeed paddling upstream is a chore now that the dams are out, even when the river is not very high.
This is very spot-dependent, but yes, I don't go out without checking gauges. I don't really mind paddling at all, what I don't like is having to carry an anchor around.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts