Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a nice long paddle yesterday, a few quick observations:
  • it's amazing how river changes year to year - some trickier places can now be paddled through with ease, some structure is missing or moved around, previously clear spots now have vegetation and so on
  • I finally managed to land a pike, I had three or four come off right next to me in the past outings
  • picked a popper out of a tree, it had a 1/2-3/4 oz barrel weight in front of it
  • saw a guy in track pants fishing from the bank at a pikey spot, may be that's why I can't get a bite there any longer? Or is it because I use a slightly different lure this year?
  • may be it's my wishful thinking but I think I saw fewer carp yesterday... nah, other ares are still chock full of it.
  • as lord is my witness I caught a smallie by Belvidere rd.

·
Registered
7,821 Posts
There are a lot of craws in the rocky areas south of Belvidere rd. I always thought smallies could hold there if not flushed out by flooding so often.

Funny about the popper weighted down lol.

The river is really low. At this level are the fish are easy to spook? or easy to find? That's the conundrum.

·
Registered
539 Posts
There are a lot of craws in the rocky areas south of Belvidere rd. I always thought smallies could hold there if not flushed out by flooding so often.

Funny about the popper weighted down lol.

The river is really low. At this level are the fish are easy to spook? or easy to find? That's the conundrum.
Stopped by after work yesterday. The areas I typically fish are covered in weeds more than I ever remember. Water was super clear and bass could be seen swimming in the open spots. I didn’t fish but I think spooked them.

Weighted poppers?! You mean ICAST 2023 best of the show?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts