Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I expected to head on up to the chain today but didn't make it since snow flurries and bald tires don't mix. I'll probably head on up there tomorrow if everything stays clear. Hope those that did make it up there caught their limit!!

In the meantime I had to get out of the house, so shortly after the plows made their rounds I headed out to the preserves to get an idea of ice thickness. Since I live near Maple Lake I went on over there. Patches of mushy ice caused me to not even exit the vehicle. Went over to Bullfrog Lake and found about 2-3 " ice 10 ft from shore. I drilled a few holes and marked a few gills in 5 ft of water. Got a few bumps but I have a feeling the potato chip size fish wouldn't commit.
Moved on out to Naperville/Plainfield to check a few favorite ponds along 59 and found 2" at best. The ice was like a window which kind of freaks me out. By next weekend it should be just fine tho. Moved on over to 53 near Lisle and found about 3" on a small pond. Popped a few holes looking for crappies. Managed a few gills with one nice one. Still nice to get out and walk on ice.
Maybe tomorrow I'll get my ass on up to the chain. Next weekend should be solid ice in the burbs as well.

See ya on the ice!

JB

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
John, Call me tomorrow.. ill be at the chain. We got the skunk today at Lake Zurich for half the day. Buddies were out there n killed the big gills. Hit me up in the AM ;)

Dave

·
Registered
78 Posts
where did they catch the gills i think the ice isnt safe enough one of our family friends says that most lakes still have open water in the middle which scares me enough to even walk on it I will bet that by next weekend we will have at least 5-6 solid inches of ice then i might think about hittin the chain i mean definitely hit my crappie lake and kill em first ice allways the charm

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WRF-
If there was any question that the ice wasn't somewhat stable I didn't venture out. This weekend I think most people are ok on smaller ponds or channels that freeze up quicker due to lack of depth or size. There is the exception. I haven't eyeballed the chain yet so I can only go from reports given. Your right about next weekend tho...it should be good to go all around.

Dave I'll give you a call. Probably around 9ish....I don't see myself getting out til then. Hopefully you'll find the bite.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was out again yesterday but we went up to the Chain. As most reports have already confirmed there was about 5-6 inches of ice in a number of locations thru out the chain. Plenty of people on the ice yesterday. I would think that by next weekend the ice that is further out in the deeper parts of the lakes should stabilize.

Dave- missed your call at the end of the day, hope you were able to get out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.